Chinese-Forums

Vietnamese Name in Chinese Characters

vinhlong

I'm wondering if anybody can help translate my Chinese name to Vietnamese. My Chinese name is 文奥理 (Wen2 Ao4 Li3).

My try:

文奧理 = Văn Áo Lý

Source = Wiktionary (searched for individual characters)

There are too many variants as in links to post #39 (expand the drop-down box). It's like pinyin to Hanzi conversion - you need to know the meaning.

sang:

* 瘡

* 疮

* 嗆

* 呛

* 刅

* 創

* 创

* 鎗

---

sáng:

* 刅

* 戧

* 剏

* 刱

* 創

* 愴

* 戗

* 剙

* 创

Many suggested conversions of first names before were based on guesses, it's a bit more predictable with surnames, as Vietnamese and Chinese shares some.

There are too many variants as in links to post #39 (expand the drop-down box). It's like pinyin to Hanzi conversion - you need to know the meaning.

hey everybody!

we asked my boyfriend's sister, and she told us

SANG (without acute character) = expensive, luxurious

but we haven't found the correct translation, or we don't know the correct translation for that ...

創 = create (sáng, sang)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%89%B5#Vietnamese

貴 = (quý, quí, quư)

華(貴) = (hoa)

豪(華) = (hào)

... please we need your help!

SANG (without acute character) = expensive, luxurious

= by meaning. SANG is Vietnamese, not Chinese therefore saying it doesn't sound right isn't correct [via Chinese]. This is matching Chinese words to Vietnamese definition, not matching Chinese word to Vietnamese word.

quần áo sang

= 服裝貴

which is using the Vietnamese word order: "Clothing expensive" instead of the Chinese word order "Expensive clothing"

quần áo = 服裝 = clothing

sang = 貴 = expensive

sang trọng

= 貴重 = luxurious

(quý, quí, quư) = normal way of saying 貴, "expensive" in Vietnamese, but by associative meaning, it might also be "sang" as I mentioned above.

TRAN Thanh-Sang

TRAN = 陳 [sino-Vietnamese equivalent indirectly from Cantonese]

Thanh = 成 [sino-Vietnamese equivalent indirectly from Cantonese]

From the above:

Sang = 貴 [rare Vietnamese pronunciation via non-Cantonese dialects perhaps?], so

TRAN Thanh-Sang = 陳成貴

Edited by trien27

服裝貴

These are not Sino-Vietnamese characters (your translation by meaning), trien27, I don't it think this is what was asked for. "sang" is not equal 貴! The question remains open.

Edited by atitarev
reworded

Maybe we can call it Vietnamese kun-yomi. :mrgreen:

If you mean that this is a word without the Chinese character equivalent, yes, very likely, I don't think every single word or syllable in Vietnamese has a Hán tự (漢字).

I am under impression that Vietnamese used characters borrowed together with the pronunciation, like Koreans, not like Japanese use kanji with meaning for native Japanese words but I am not 100% certain.

Just joking. Normally Vietnamese makes up a character for Vietnamese vocabulary. They tend to be phono-semantic compounds with the phonetic part based on Sino-Vietnamese pronunciation and the semantic part a Chinese character that means approximately what the syllable means.

• 2 weeks later...

Yin Bao(银宝),transliterate

hope that could helps,

hope to make friends with who speak english ,wo we could learn chinese and english together.

peter lee,from beijing,china.

You're in the wrong place. Maybe Roddy or someone else can create a new thread called "Chinese names in Vietnamese translation."

Anyhow:

银 / 銀 = Bạc for words, but as a part of personal names, it's Ngân, borrowed from Cantonese.

宝 / 寶 = Bảo [from Mandarin? It's the same spelling as Hanyu Pinyin + Vietnamese accent. Most Vietnamese words are borrowed via Cantonese.]

Just joking. Normally Vietnamese makes up a character for Vietnamese vocabulary. They tend to be phono-semantic compounds with the phonetic part based on Sino-Vietnamese pronunciation and the semantic part a Chinese character that means approximately what the syllable means.

What you're describing is called Chu Nom or Chu Nho. In either case, neither of those are in use now, unless, people are trying to preserve Chu Nom or Chu Nho.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, Vietnamese uses the Latin alphabet + accents made exclusively for the Vietnamese language.

Tiêu = is the original character meaning flute, with the bamboo radical. Nowadays as a last name, it's changed from bamboo radical to grass radical to . = xiāo in Pinyin

Chấn = not sure. http://vdict.com/?autotranslation gives the Chinese character as 陳, which as a last name would be Tran in Vietnamese. = chén in Pinyin. 陳 means "old". I'm thinking it's mostly 振* from knowledge of Chinese names. Check ** below for the meaning of 振.

Bình = 平[unisex name suitable to both male or female] or 苹 [female only] = píng in Pinyin

*Source: http://vi.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=%C4%90%E1%BA%B7c_bi%E1%BB%87t%3AT%C3%ACm_ki%E1%BA%BFm&search=Ch%E1%BA%A5n&go=Xem

**http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/%E6%8C%AF/1319419

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Could you help me with this name translation, Le thi thuy anh & 李志祥。Thanks

Le = [most common], , or

Thi = [meaning Surname/last name in Chinese, but this is not used in Chinese for a name, unless suggesting a last name. This is however used as a part of Vietnamese female names]*

Thuy = = a type of jade

Anh = = hero / heroine; = Cherry [blossoms]

In Chinese, 氏 would be omitted [since it would be indicated by the last name, which most probably would be 黎] and her name would be 黎翠英 or 黎翠櫻, if her last name is indeed 黎 in Han Tu.

李 = Li / Ly = Same last name as Bruce Lee = plum

志 = Chi = will

祥 = Trương = auspicious

*氏 was probably used due to an attachment to the last name/surname. In ancient China, when women died, their tombstones would not have their original given names, but rather just 氏 following their surname/last name, with their husband's surname before their own: Let me use the above examples: His last name = 李, her last name =黎, and if they were both Chinese and married, her tombstone would have her name as

"李黎氏".

• 1 month later...