Chinese-Forums

Vietnamese Name in Chinese Characters

vinhlong

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Can someone please translate these names? I know the last and middle names, just don't know the first names... been bugging me for years, it's mine and my sisters name, hopefully I finally find the answer...I've included the symbols where relevant....

Thái Minh-Duy

Thái Minh-Thư

I know Thái = 蔡 and Minh = 

For further reference, I've been told Duy means "to hold/to grasp".. something like that... and I've been told Thư is for "Lady".... some people have translated Thư as...

but I believe that means "Book". 

Thanks for your assistance.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

i am still very confused of my friend's name which is Nguyen Hoài Vĩnh

Nguyen = 阮

Hoai = 怀

Vĩnh = this is where i am stuck between and , which one is it?

Hoai Vĩnh as in remembering Vĩnh Long.   Vinh Long in chinese is 永(隆) but it does not sound right to me if his full name is 阮怀永, what do u think?

I was thinking perhaps it would be  阮怀 (although 榮 has a totally different meaning).  can someone help?  Greatly appreciated this!  thanks

Why do you think 阮怀永 does not sound right? I think it sounds all right, especially if you/ he can tell what/ who it refers to.

PS - is it possible for your friend to consult his parents what the name means? That would help clarify which character should be used and would be better than a friend or any random forum members guessing it.

I read somewhere that Nina Pham 尼娜‧範, the first person to contract ebola on American (US) soil is ethnic Chinese. I've only seen one source with 華(华)裔. Many with 亞(亚)裔 or 越南裔 though.

I'm still awaiting confirmation. Another source than the one.

Anyway, her condition has been upgraded to "good" and she says she's doing well.

They said something about her boyfriend that I didn't catch and her dog in quarantine is also doing fine.

And the American doctor who was cured of the disease has donated blood to Nina.

I've only ever met one person with Pham as a surname and he was ethnic Chinese as well.

Kobo.

Hi skylee, first off, thank you for replying to my post.

His family is Vietnamese so there is no way that i can consult with them (i have no contact with them anyways).  Based on my conversation with my friend, here is how his name came about. 

His family came to the United States from Vĩnh Long, Vietnam.  The parents named him Nguyen Hoài Vĩnh as in always remembering Vĩnh Long (remembering where the family came from). 

I thought it was 阮怀永 too but somehow having some doubts.  Does this chinese translation means always remembering  Vĩnh Long?  Looking at each word

怀 - remembering

永 - forever

those two words make up - always remembering but what about the Vĩnh (Long) part.  I have heard that 榮 is used for Vĩnh, is this true?  What do you think?

Greately appreciate your help. 

In Chinese at least, 永 means 'forever' and 荣 means 'honour'. In Chinese, many characters share the same pronunciation, and I imagine the same might be true in Vietnamese, so it's quite possible that both 永 and 荣 are pronounced 'vinh'. According to Wikipedia, the city of Vinh Long is 永隆 in Chinese characters, using 永 not 荣. So in short, I see no reason to think that 阮怀永 is wrong. But if you want to be sure, perhaps you should just ask your friend.

Thanks both for the reply.  I thought 阮怀永 is correct too at first, perhaps it is!  Does 怀永 means "Always remembering Vinh Long?"  this is where i am stuck.   

怀 - remembering

永 - forever

The way I see it, 怀永 means forever remembering (what?).  Seems like something is missing or just doesnt translate to "always remembering Vinh Long."  thanks again.

"Hoài Vĩnh" by itself doesn't mean "always remember Vĩnh Long", but as the name of someone associated with Vĩnh Long, Vĩnh can be taken to mean Vĩnh Long. Names are something personal, they can be made to mean what we want them to mean.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I need your help again. 

My friend's parents named him "Nguyen Hoai Vinh" as in always remembering Vinh Long, Vietnam (as in never forget your root).  I am just trying to use this to come up with a chinese phrase for this.  Please help! 

Since I am not fluent in Chinese, i am trying to find a better way to rephrase this to make it better...

人在美國

怀永隆

How does that sound?  Can someone help me rephrase this?  In general, i want to say that "Person is in the United States, The heart is forever remember Vinh Long" 

Thanks

Here is just an opinion, and shouldn't be taken as anything more than that :):

"人在美國

心怀永隆"

This sounds good, in the special context of trying to incorporating the name "怀永" into it.

But from the the point of view of language and grammar, without reference to the personal name, I would write:

"人在美國

永隆"

"Body is in the US, Heart is in Vinh Long"

(I'm not saying that it should be written like this, since this would be forgetting the point for writing it in the first place!)

Still from the point of view of language (Chinese in this case),"美國" (name of a country) doesn't work well as an opposite/ equivalent of "永隆" (name of a province). Chinese couplet writing requires kind of "true opposites/equivalents".

:D 

Thanks both.

Tiana -I originally had the same as you 人在美國,永隆 too but then i thought about incorporating 怀永 in the context.  After reading your post, i thought about changing from US to SF but he is in Hayward and not SF.  Guess i will just stick with 人在美國,永隆.  

Lu - we communicate mainly in English and hardly Vietnamese.  I told him that i would show/teach him how to write his chinese name today as his days in LA are numbered.  Def going to miss this fella who i consider as a really close friend of mine. 

Thank you all for your assistance.