Chinese-Forums

Vietnamese Name in Chinese Characters

vinhlong

• New Members

Hi guys, I'm new here but I've known about this place.  Anyways, I've been looking into the chinese characters of my family's names and my brother's name is Huy.  My dad gives me the context chỉ huy but according to

http://nomfoundation.org/nom-tools/Nom-Lookup-Tool/Nom-Lookup-Tool there's two characters sharing the same context 挥 and

Nom14801.png

My problem is that after Vietnam switched to the latin alphabet, my parents can tell me what a word means by giving contexts such as chi huy but since they don't know characters they just give me every meaning for that sound huy, so I'll get many meanings suchc as humble or leader etc and they'll have different chinese characters.  How do I know what's the correct one, or can I just freely pick since that's the consequence of switching from using Chinese characters to latin-based alphabet?  Thanks for your help everyone.

@OP: 挥 is the right character. This character also appears in other common Vietnamese words like: huy động, phát huy, etc.

By the way, the character proposed by Hofmann, 揮, is the same one but in the traditional writing style, where as 挥 is in Trung Cộng style.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Most likely guess:

Nguyễn Phạm Đan Khanh = 阮範丹鏗

I don't think "pham" in ngang tone exists; I think it should be in nặng. 

I'm not familiar with the meaning of "khanh" as "the term used by the emperor when addressing a queen or concubine" (卿???? What's this nôm character  [= 女 + 巴 + 三])... I am only aware of the one for the sound of the clang of metal (鏗).

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

Hi, can someone help me to translate this name "nguyễn thị ngọc chuyễn " to chinese name? What I know is nguyễn = 阮; thị =氏;ngọc =玉,then how about chuyễn ?What I get from translator chuyễn = 燃烧, but sound weird. So, anybody here can help me? Thank you very much in advance.

• New Members

hi hofmann, the chuyễn  is correct. The dictionary u provided I did searched before, but failed to search it also. then I translated using google translate and get 燃烧, so Im wondering izit correct or not.post-64695-0-28196600-1461869796_thumb.jpg

by the way, thanks for your reply.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...