Chinese-Forums

Chinese language podcasts

wushijiao

Totally echo your thoughts on Heimi Gongzhu, Roddy. I usually go two or three months without listening and then catch up with consecutive podcasts. I like her new, longer format. Also, she cracks me up sometimes when she gets animated on a subject or takes a fairly unique view on something. A couple of quick examples that come to mind are how she totally trashed Chinese new year and then ripped on a homophobic listener who was complaining about her show...sometimes, she starts rambling without purpose, but other moments like these are gold.

Also, gotta say that Deguo zhisheng is getting stale...they need to seriously inject it with some soft stories or something, man. Once you get past the headlines and the first hard story, I'm on snooze mode....it doesn't help that the user feedback segment is also banal and predictable as hell...would be nice to see something more along the lines of "Morning Edition" on NPR....

Actually I suspect one of the reasons I like it is that as she's in Austria she's taking a foreigner's perspective on things, which is something that foreigners in China can relate to - like in the most recent show, asking the restaurant boss to 'make it properly, not like you make it for the foreigners' and talking about how foreigners don't like tofu.

• 4 weeks later...

I was really rooting for her to manage twenty full minutes on the weather when she started today, but now she's onto football and English soccer hooligans - two minutes to go, wonder where she'll end up . .

it doesn't help that the user feedback segment is also banal and predictable as hell...would be nice to see something more along the lines of "Morning Edition" on NPR....

I would actually say that they do a really good job of pitching it at a level where Chinese listeners can have a say, but without turning it into the RFA China-bashing festival which is going to have anyone who isn't a committed opponent of the Party already turning off.

Hi,

Is there any place where I can download news, headlines etc. made from Chinese for Chinese, I am more interested in something truly Chinese. It would also be nice if the news were a bit longer than the 德国之声. I like 黑米公主, but after listening to her for an entire week it’s time for a change.

Any tips?

Well, it you are not turned off by the overtly political orientation, RFA Mandarin not only has headlines, but has the script of the articles for most of their news podcasts. Whatever you think about RFA politically, I think it's a great resource for learners.

It is for made for Chinese by Chinese, but it certainly doesn't represent mainstream opinion, so it may not be what you are looking for.

Only problem I can see with that is RFA isn't exactly mainstream news. TV and newspapers might all be covering some state visit or new law, while RFA will be featuring a fifteen minute interview with a retired railway worker from Hefei who has had his pension canceled. It's great content and you'll learn a lot, particularly in coping with different accents, but don't expect to be kept up to date on what most people consider news.

Not podcasts, but see also this lists of online radio classed under 新闻电台 - I can't get that actual site to work, but you might have more luck, and you can always Google the name to find a working link. Radio is a massively underused resource, I think, everyone runs around looking for podcasts and forgets that thousands of hours of content are put out over the airwaves every day.

I like the Princess Remy podcast! It's exactly what I need for now; colloquail mandarin to build up my listening skills. Excellent for learners like me who lack an environment with mandarin speakers.

I certainly do like her mandarin 'cause it's so more gentle sounding than mainland chinese whilst not having a strong Minnan accent. At least I now know where I need improvement on.

Do you guys know of other colloquail mandarin podcasts that basically talks about pretty quaint and ordinary everyday topics?? The more 無聊 the topics, the better.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Princess Remy, for anyone who missed it, has said in her Christmas message to the Internet nation that she'll be back in the New Year. Looking forward to that.

Antiwave seem to be updating semi-regularly - 7 episodes in November, 3 so far this month. I think the glory days may be gone, but still worth a listen.

Couple more I've just found (by doing a search for 黑米公主 反播 in an attempt to find podcast lists that include both those, and therefore may have other similar stuff)

Justing.com.cn seems to be a lot of magazine content in mp3 / podcast format, aimed at everyone favorite consumer grouping, the "现代城市的白领年轻人". Lot of different stuff on here, not sure how much is interesting / original, etc, but I downloaded one as a random test and it's decent quality and seems professionally done. There's a list of all their podcasts here. I suspect some of it is just recycling content they've got from elsewhere, but never mind.

锵锵三人行 looks quite interesting - the list of titles makes it look pretty eclectic and so far (ok, I'm only 45 seconds in :mrgreen:) it just seems to be three middle-aged blokes sitting around talking about stuff. Quality is a bit weak - sounds like the original recording is fine, but it's been compressed down to 32kbps . . .

Anyone got any others?

天下雜志 has a podcast with regular updates (go down to where it says "podcasting").

I used to listen to them before I discovered 德國之聲 and found the level very accessible but the topics got stale pretty quick ("怎么在你公司升遷呢?我們請王教授介紹升遷的三個主要關鍵!"). Might be worth a listen if you need a change from general news and politics.

锵锵三人行 looks quite interesting - the list of titles makes it look pretty eclectic and so far (ok, I'm only 45 seconds in ) it just seems to be three middle-aged blokes sitting around talking about stuff. Quality is a bit weak - sounds like the original recording is fine, but it's been compressed down to 32kbps . . .

I discovered that one a while ago, too, and I'm loving it. Only big caveat, as you already mentioned, is the sound quality. I did not see an email address on their page, otherwise I would have written them a mail asking to improve the sound.

Just went looking for info on 锵锵三人行 and it turns out it's actually a Phoenix TV talk show. You can find transcripts on their site (that one's for the podcast of the 24th), and video is also available on there. Haven't checked to see how complete the transcripts are - given they're often talking over each other I don't think you can expect 100% accuracy, but presumably still useful. I can't see any reference to the podcast on the site, and I'm now assuming that some fan somewhere is ripping it to mp3 and publishing it, hence the poor audio quality.

(five minutes later)

The podcast info links to here - looks like there are other shows also being ripped, might be worth a look.