Chinese-Forums

Chinese language podcasts

wushijiao

Just went looking for info on 锵锵三人行 and it turns out it's actually a Phoenix TV talk show. You can find transcripts on their site (that one's for the podcast of the 24th), and video is also available on there. Haven't checked to see how complete the transcripts are

Unfortunately, they are not very complete, only about a 3 minute excerpt of the normally 20 minutes or so program.

But I just love the format. People sitting in the studio talking back and forth on various topics. So has anybody found complete scripts of that show? I expect rather no.

Are there similar shows like this for mp3 download that come with a script?

That would be the answer to all my prayers.

thank you

Is there ANY talk show, anywhere in the world, where people are typing up transcripts? It's not impossible that some fans are doing it somewhere, but as you say - I rather expect no. Have a look at Chineseblast.com if you haven't already, they have some (maybe just one?) of Princess Remy's podcasts transcribed, along with some other stuff that might be interesting.

Have a look here, unless you already have.

Edited by roddy
Sometimes I post, and then I realize I've used exactly the same phrase twice in quick succession - for example in this post, I used 'if you haven't already' twice. This annoys me, so I changed one.

I have read through almost all of the other threads that are about podcast recommendations, and none of them have anything that Im looking for. I am in search of a native Chinese podcast (as in, made for and by Chinese) that are:

NOT news

NOT economics, politics, international affairs, etc.

I'm still a teenager, and so Im looking for podcasts that talk about things like dating, fashion, music, highschool, daily life, etc. ANYTHING BUT NEWS. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

The 锵锵三人行 podcasts have stopped working lately, with iTunes suddenly asking for a password. I tracked it down to this - basically it seems whoever's been ripping and uploading these has got bored of all us freeloaders - fair enough. They're offering a paid download service for a dollar a year, which doesn't seem unreasonable (unless you're the copyright owner, I guess) and they take Paypal.

These are the people actually ripping and uploading the files, so unless anyone else knows of anyone doing the same, I suspect this is the only way to get hold of the show in such a convenient format.

They also have another podcast, 开卷八分钟,anyone listened to that one?

• 2 weeks later...

开卷八分钟 is quite nice - basically one guy reads a book and then talks to you about it for eight minutes. Like the 锵锵三人行 podcasts though, it's heavily compressed and you currently need a password for the feed - see the link in my previous post. It's akin to a short lecture - relatively in depth, and a sole speaker rather than the back and forth of a chatshow format.

Princess Remy is back on her almost-weekly schedule, which is good, missed her. Antiwave have been on sabbatical it seems since the start of the year. Have fallen out of the habit of listening to the news podcasts, need to get back into that.

ANYTHING BUT NEWS. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

I'm looking for podcasts that does news and nothing else. And I mean real news, like about the financial crisis, the Iraq war, news in China, etc.

Ok, the folks at overseakids.com, who have been running the 锵锵三人行 podcasts have been busy.

Guests now have access to podcasts, but there is a random password so you can't just automatically download them. The password is here (not sure if that's where the password always is, or if there'll be a new post for each new password).

You can also sign up for a permanent password if you want, and it's virtually free at one USD per year. At that price my worry is that they won't make much money and get bored, but I can afford to lose a dollar I think. Will sign up when I get bored of the changing passwords.

There are also a bunch of new podcasts, listed here: 《时事辩论会》《军情观察室》《新闻今日谈》《有报天天读》《时事开讲》《鲁豫有约》《凤凰大视野》

I'm an advanced level student who is starting to freak out about how bad my Chinese is getting while I'm back and home and not using it.. I'd love to be able to download 30 minute or hour long radio segments or other podcasts that are Native Mandarin speakers at normal speaking speeds to listen to in the car on the way to work... (burnable onto cds) but I'm not sure where to do so! I know several sites that have streaming radio but am not sure if any offer free downloads. I guess I'd pay a small amount of money to download a few as well..

I'm not too picky about the topic being discussed (as long as it's not just an hour of weather forecasts) art, music, politics, news, general talk radio, etc. would all be fine..

If anyone has ideas or sites from which I can download some good Chinese for listening practice please let me know! Thanks!

lilac521- You might want to especially look at RFA. Granted, the content is limited (all about petitioning, HR issues, arrests, police beatings, politics...etc.) but they do have transpcripts for all news on 亞太報道, which sets them apart, from the learners point of view.

Thanks wushijiao for that RFA link. I'm in the same boat as lilac. Looking for something to listen to with a script in hand in case of reference.

Other programs with scripts besides RFA (all news of course)

http://gb.cri.cn/1321/more/4974/more4974.htm - got this from wenhailin in another thread, discontinued after 01/31/09 as mentioned. <-- sound links are broken though unfortunately:(

http://www.unmultimedia.org/radio/chinese/ - UN stuff

another option is recording sound bites off cctv's online media and use provided transcripts (if they too have not discontinued services)

edit: http://www.cnr.cn/ - this too, but it uses text to speech lol

Edited by 赫杰

RFI has a French language section that has a recap of world news in easy to read and listen to in French. Is there anything like that on the web in Chinese, a daily recap of world news in easy to read and listen to recaps divided into basic (or intermediate or advanced level) Chinese?

Unfortunately there's not much that has transcripts available.

These three (all from an earlier post in the thread) all provide decent news:

NHK Chinese (10 minute radio news, focusing on Japan and China, but also other parts of Asia. This is produced by the Japanese government)

-SBS Mandarin (news and other show of 10-30 minutes, focusing on the whole world, but especially Australia and China. Made by Australia)

-德国之声 (focusing on Germany, Europe and China).

Unfortunately they don't have transcripts, which I imagine is what you are also looking for.

CRI has a video news podcast here, but again no transcripts.

For transcripts, RFA and the UN news (listed a few posts previously), are probably your best bet, although the content would appear to be not quite what you are looking for.

Thanks imron, yes, I have been looking for the see-and-hear kind of thing - transcripts plus spoken news. I think popupchinese had something like that quite some time ago, at least they had the transcripts with popups for the hard words but I am not sure if it came with the podcast to accompany it. And I can't remember if they divided it into basic, intermediate, advanced. Went back to popupchinese and can't find it under Lessons anymore, or maybe I was hallucinating.

Anyway I thought it was interesting that RFI had that see-and-hear in simplified French - in other words they took out the more difficult advanced vocabulary and grammar and replaced it with simpler sentence structure, repeated vocabulary, etc - a great way to introduce news listening and reading to intermediate and probably even to basic levels. And to think I stumbled across that feature while browsing the Chinese section of RFI.

• 3 weeks later...
You can also sign up for a permanent password if you want, and it's virtually free at one USD per year. At that price my worry is that they won't make much money and get bored, but I can afford to lose a dollar I think. Will sign up when I get bored of the changing passwords.

I signed up for this - iTunes was driving me mad with the password pop up. Works fine, had my password within a few hours, and everything now downloads automatically. Check your RSS reader / podcast software will allow you to use the password though, some will just fail to even ask for one.

Anyway, well worth the price for 锵锵三人行. It's now my favourite podcast (although if Princess Remy asks don't tell her . . )