Chinese-Forums

TAKE ME TO YOUR HEART

HashiriKata

I came across this song in a Chinese songs collection (2005 十大流行金曲爬行榜). It's in English and sung just like by a native English singer, so I can't help wondering if anyone knows anything about it and how it's come to be part of a Chinese collection. It a nice song by the way and you can listen to it from this Chinese website:

http://flash.ahxh.cn/flash_play.asp?id=14439

TAKE ME TO YOUR HEART

(Michael Learns To Rock)

Hiding from the rain and snow

Trying to forget but I won't let go

Looking at a crowded street

Listening to my own heart beat

So many people all around the world

Tell me where do I find someone like you girl

* Take me to your heart take me to your soul

Give me your hand before I'm old

Show me what love is - haven't got a clue

Show me that wonders can be true

They say nothing lasts forever

We're only here today

Love is now or never

Bring me far away

Take me to your heart take me to your soul

Give me your hand and hold me

Show me what love is - be my guiding star

It's easy take me to your heart

Standing on a mountain high

Looking at the moon through a clear blue sky

I should go and see some friends

But they don't really comprehend

Don't need too much talking without saying anything

All I need is someone who makes me wanna sing

[Repeat *]

I'm just guessing, but I think it might be because you couldn't walk anywhere around Shanghai last year without hearing this song blaring out of barber shops, DVD stores, and some restaurants. Also some of my Chinese friends can't really speak much English, but are able to do this at KTV.

My brother, who lives in the US, was shocked that I had never heard the "Thong Song", and equally, I was suprised to find that he didn't know this song (not to say that they are comparable, except for amount of exposure). :D

Still, not a bad song.

You've got to admit that Michael's lyrics are a tad on the dopey side.
Maybe, but it also depends on one's taste. Whatever, it's still not an excuse for being so abusive and so trashy in public. The comments in fact tell more about the person who wrote them than the person they are intended to be about.

PS: What I'm saying is just common sense. I didn't know anything about Michael until a few minutes ago, so don't think I'm biased.

Flipping through the forums, trying to avoid food coma at the moment......and sorry, HashiriKata, this song puts me into kill mode too. The song itself, while it isn't what I would voluntarily chose to listen to and probably isn't the worst song in the history of songs, is sooooo overplayed out here that it really wears on nerves after a while. (oddly the thong song never got on my nerves in the US though, that thong tha thong thong thong...)

Not even the 2002 blasting of 流星雨 everywhere was as bad as the experience of hearing this song at least once a day for as long as I can remember. And even so there at least use to be the F4 pepsi cans available for drop kicking if you ever really needed to vent your frustration after being forced to listen to their song for the n+1 time that day.

Lastly, if there was another thread here on songs overplayed in China, TAKE ME TO YOUR HEART would be in the number one spot in both the foreign language category, and the overall overplayed category.

ok, I think the food coma has worn off :mrgreen:

Heifeng, I understand what you were saying. My reaction here wasn't about the song, it's about that obnoxious blogger that gato referred to.

Just because of a song he didn't like, he called Danish people as "fucking Danes/ nordic fucks", referred to Denmark as a "tired little archepeligeo" and told people to "go around smashing saabs!". He then went on insulting everyone who is not American in the next page: http://smellywhitey.sinosplice.com/archives/2006/08/29/free-sex-and-shanghai

As he advertises his teaching of English on the same page, I wonder what other language teachers from the US think about, and how sinosplice has come to support, this nauseating piece of garbage in the human form.

Hehe, don't worry, I get what you are saying about that guy's blog. The criticism of everything that is not xxxx country is definitely not cool. Plus in regard to the song, I hope it doesn't get too overplayed where you are and you can continue to enjoy it:mrgreen:

Best thing to do with those type of blogs is to ignore them! I know I save almost all my web surfing for the great Chinese-Forums!!!:wink:

Back to the spirit of celebrating songs that we do enjoy, I personally wouldn't mind hearing the below songs blasted on hair salon speakers occasionally as I wait for a bus. (Perhaps, if you are looking for certain interesting English songs, these may be songs in a genre you may not have looked at before, but are none-the-less well written and "classic")

I once knew a young local Chinese teacher who taught English and not only had absolutely amazing English (despite never studying abroad) he also knew all these songs and could debate on the whole conspiracy topic....So, who says locals can't play a wider variety of English and foreign language songs!!!

Here are my personal "classic" English recommendations, enjoy!here here here

I hope it doesn't get too overplayed where you are and you can continue to enjoy it :mrgreen:
You're right. I was blissfully unaware of the song in the UK, and I asked about it here because I didn't know anything about it and only listened to it for the first time. I think I now know why it was so popular and why some people were repulsed by it. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

I think these guys are actually Sweedish (Michael learns to rock) therefore they probably are not native English speakers. To be totally honest, it almost sounds like this song was made for China. It would never have been popular in the US or UK. 很土! 

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

take me to your heart 许我以心

Singer:Michael Learns to Rock

Album:Take Me To Your Heart

Translated by studentyoung

thiding from the rain and snow 藏身于雨雪之中

trying to forget but i won't let go 欲罢难休

looking at a crowded street 看着熙攘的街道

listening to my own heart beat听着自己的心跳

so many people 芸芸众生

all around the world 于此世上