Chinese-Forums

a few HSK questions...

Pravit

I was just working through some 综合天空 exercises and I didn't understand a few of them:

但他还是不信,跑出教室,要到办公室去找老师,我也跟着(21)了。

21. A. 来 B.去 C.走 D.跑

Why do we have to use "去" and not "走" here?

谈到单亲家庭的(50)教育问题,宋女士说,有许多离婚的母亲一个人带孩子,很苦,于是就告诉孩子,他的爸爸多么多么坏,他以为这样孩子就能跟他一条心了,其实只是从小给孩子仇恨。所以要注意母亲的文化(54).

50. A.儿子 B.女儿 C.小孩 D.子女

Why is C incorrect?

54. A.培养 B.教养 C.营养 D.修养

I have a hard time differentiating the meanings of A, B, and D...Why is D the only correct one here?

据了解,吃素者中女性的比例相当大,这大概是由于吃素不仅可以(73)发胖,还可以保养面容。而上了(74)的人吃素则多数是为了健康,防止一些老年病。科学家对素食者合肥素食者做过多次不同方式的(76),...

73. A.免除 B.以免 C.难免 D.避免

What's the difference between (A) and (D)?

74. A.年龄 B.年头 C.年纪 D.年代

Why can't (A) be used here?

76. A.检验 B.考验 C.体验 D.测验

How are A, B, and D different in meaning?

Thanks!

但他还是不信,跑出教室,要到办公室去找老师,我也跟着(21)了。

21. A. 来 B.去 C.走 D.跑

Why do we have to use "去" and not "走" here?

我也跟着去了。= I also went to the office with him.

我也跟着走了。= I left and went to somewhere else.

50. A.儿子 B.女儿 C.小孩 D.子女

Why is C incorrect?

C = Kids' education issues.

The right answer is D for children's education issues.

54. A.培养 B.教养 C.营养 D.修养

I have a hard time differentiating the meanings of A, B, and D...Why is D the only correct one here?

A = cultivation

B = upbringing

D = training

文化修养 = self-cultivation

73. A.免除 B.以免 C.难免 D.避免

What's the difference between (A) and (D)?

A = exempt

D = avoid

The right answer is D.

74. A.年龄 B.年头 C.年纪 D.年代

Why can't (A) be used here?

The right answer is C. A is "time of life" but C is "years of age"

76. A.检验 B.考验 C.体验 D.测验

How are A, B, and D different in meaning?

A = check up

B = challenge

D = test

K.

Should I just accept that 文化修养 is a set phrase, or is there something about 培养 and 教养 that makes them not fit with 文化?

Yes, it's a set phrase. And you can keep another set phrase 文化素养 in your heart. It has an identical expression effect.

修养, which is a noun, refers to the internal culture of someone, or proper attitudes one gets along with others.

教养 corresponds to say the rearing and training received during childhood. Here it isn't suitable for mothers obviously.

As for 培养, it firstly means cultivation or to cultivate. Subsequently it means intentional training or to train intentionally. I'm not convinced that 文化培养 surly doesn't exist, but here it isn't the best alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more HSK questions(listening):

她宁可在家睡大觉,也不愿意跟小李出去玩

这句话告诉我们什么?

A.他已经睡觉了

B.他不喜欢玩儿

C.他喜欢呆在家里

D.他可能不喜欢小李

I picked C, but the correct answer was D(I was thinking about picking it, though). I can see why you would infer that he doesn't like Xiao Li, but speaking as a fairly lazy/unsocial person, it would not be unheard of for me to prefer sleeping/staying at home to going out, regardless if I like the people involved. Have I missed something here or is this just a cultural thing/stupid HSK question/reflection of my antisocial tendencies?

你怎么会喜欢上刘志这种没良心的人?

说话人对刘志是什么态度?

A.喜欢

B.关心

C.不满

D.看不起

Here I picked D, but the correct answer was C. Speaking of Liu Zhi in such unflattering terms, I would imagine that he looks down on him/doesn't see why anyone could like him. Or did I miss something?

There was also a big list of colloquial expressions along with context-less example sentences, but I didn't understand some of them.

不X...., 一X....

不看不要紧,一看出了一身冷汗。

Maybe something about how it's easy to put things off/not worry about them but then getting nervous once you realize you need to do it?

叫让X,...还真X(呀)

叫你睡,你还真睡啊!

I have the impression this means something like "Somebody told you to sleep(but didn't mean it), and then you actually did it", but I'm not sure.

这也不... 那也不...

这也不叫吃,那也不让穿,你们要我怎么做?

I have a vague idea this is about a mother scolding children being picky about eating and clothing, but really, I have no clue.

X也X不得,Y也Y不得

这件事让我哭也哭不得,笑也笑不得。

Guess: something like "This matter made me cry when I shouldn't have, laugh when I shouldn't have".

X又Y, Y又X

装了又拆,拆了又装,直到他觉得满意才罢手。

I have no idea what activities 装 and 拆 are referring to. My only (wild) guess is that it's talking about some guy who constantly alters a piece of clothing until he gets tired of it.

好你个...

好你个刘局长,我们的计划拳脚你打乱了。

No idea what the "好你个" construction means.

...有X这样Y的吗?

你也真是,有你这样谈恋爱的吗?

This sentence might make more sense in context, but I guess it's in a conversation between significant others.

Thanks!

她宁可在家睡大觉,也不愿意跟小李出去玩

这句话告诉我们什么?

宁可 has a sense of "would even rather", which implies that she normally wouldn't want to sleep at home.

你怎么会喜欢上刘志这种没良心的人?

说话人对刘志是什么态度?

A.喜欢

B.关心

C.不满

D.看不起

看不起 usually refers to looking down on someone on the basis of social status. 不满 means "dissatisfied with; don't like" and fits better here.

她宁可在家睡大觉,也不愿意跟小李出去玩

这句话告诉我们什么?

Deliberate '跟小李'. If the sentence is '她宁可在家睡大觉,也不愿意出去玩', well, B or C are both valid. But '跟小李' implies a semantic emphasis - not someone else but just him 小李 - she dislikes him.

你怎么会喜欢上刘志这种没良心的人?

I wonder if you consider '没良心的' as 'conscienceless'. That makes sense more or less, but not totally precise. Simply speaking, in this context, I think '没良心' emphasizes that 刘志 did somehing bad and wasn't appreciated by others. So the speaker should be critical of him.

不X...., 一X....

不看不要紧,一看出了一身冷汗。

Maybe something about how it's easy to put things off/not worry about them but then getting nervous once you realize you need to do it?

I sense the sentence pattern '不X...., 一X....' is used for emphasizing the part after '一' and it also conveys a surprise.

e.g. 不看不知道,一看吓一跳。

不吃不要紧,一吃就一辈子也忘不了了。

叫让X,...还真X(呀)

叫你睡,你还真睡啊!

I have the impression this means something like "Somebody told you to sleep(but didn't mean it), and then you actually did it", but I'm not sure.

Yes, the sentence pattern asks 'why you can't have your own view?' Other examples:

叫/让你吃,你还真吃啊?万一里面有毒怎么办?

这也不... 那也不...

这也不叫吃,那也不让穿,你们要我怎么做?

I have a vague idea this is about a mother scolding children being picky about eating and clothing, but really, I have no clue.

Emm...meybe.

This pattern should be used for showing speaker's disappointment or muddle for he dont know what he can do.

e.g. 这也不行,那也不行,那我到底该做什么?

这也不能去,那也不能去,看来我只能呆在家里了。

她告诉我这也不能碰,那也不能碰,我真烦死她了!

这件事让我哭也哭不得,笑也笑不得。

Guess: something like "This matter made me cry when I shouldn't have, laugh when I shouldn't have".

I think it should be 'This matter made me can't cry, neither laugh'.And this sentence which can be shortened as '这件事让我哭笑不得'.

Other example for pattern 'X也X不得,Y也Y不得':

火车里太挤了!我是坐也坐不得,走也走不得,只能挤在人堆里站着。

You see, this pattern seems similar to the one above.

X又Y, Y又X

装了又拆,拆了又装,直到他觉得满意才罢手。

I have no idea what activities 装 and 拆 are referring to. My only (wild) guess is that it's talking about some guy who constantly alters a piece of clothing until he gets tired of it.

装, to install; to build

拆, to uninstall; to remove; to dismantle

This sentence implies that he is a precise guy. He won't be satisfactory untill he installs his toy - I guess something like model car, plane, tank and etc.- perfectly.

And this pattern means someone persists in doing something (two things).

e.g.

他吃了又喝,喝了又吃,简直像一头牛一样,看来他真的饿了。

她吃了又睡,睡了又吃,能不长胖吗?

好你个...

好你个刘局长,我们的计划拳脚你打乱了。

No idea what the "好你个" construction means.

It means that little does the speaker expect. Only used in dialogue.

e.g.

Suppose your friend 小李 marrid but didn't let you know.When you meet him you'll say: 好你个小李,结婚了都不告诉我!

Or 小李 exceeded your expectation and won a champion in some game, you can say: 好你个小李,居然得了第一名!

...有X这样Y的吗?

你也真是,有你这样谈恋爱的吗?

This sentence might make more sense in context, but I guess it's in a conversation between significant others.

'...有X这样Y的吗?' conveys a tiny criticism. X should be a person and Y should be doing something. It means X shouldn't have done something in such way(Y). And it is only in a conversation.

e.g. 有你这样做生意的吗?(也许听话人欺骗了顾客)

有你这样说话的吗?(也许听话人刚才说了些难听的或者骂人的话)