Chinese-Forums

Introducing Pablo, a new lightweight, feature-packed English-Chinese dictionary

haton

The "voice not found" message means that the "Speak" function in Pablo will not work. All other features should work.

I guess getting the error message every time you start the program is quite annoying :oops: . I'll post another version without the warning.

Thanks for the report!

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Some news for the users of Pablo, and those who don't know it yet.

Pablo is improving thanks to user feedback. New versions bring more features and an improved interface. And since it uses the CEDICT database, the contents itself is also constantly enriched.

Among newest features:

- "multi-radical" search. Take that strange Chinese character, you can identify 2-3 of its elements but don't really know which part is the radical, or just don't want to lose 10 minutes browsing the dictionary. Just point and click at the parts and Pablo finds the character for you.

- "measure words": measure word information is included for over 1,500 frequent words.

- and still more character animations (now 2,860!)

Find more at:

http://ehaton.blogspot.com

• 7 years later...

Two queries: First, how do I get the animations of the characters being stroked out, in the upper right hand corner of Pablo?  It always used to seem to me that I just clicked to the right of the black glyph, and it would appear, in yellow or orange as I (mis)remember.  I've gone back to Pablo after some time away, and I can no longer find the animations at all.  

What should I be doing?

Second, does anybody else have the impression that Windows 10 is not playing well with anumber of programs, including Pablo?  This is purely a user impression, with no code analysis or knowledge of the internals of the operating system, nor of most apps.  FWIW, it is my impression that Pablo is always fast and efficient when it is the only program laoded.  If it is loaded aafter one or two other programs, e.g. Chinese Reader* with Notepad-Plus-Plus behind it somewhere, it slows down itself and also causes everything else to lsow down.  This seems to be true even when my little usage meter shows onlu 70% of RAM and 60% of CPU in use. This is a real pain, and very much lmits the useability of Pablo -- and I don't think it's Pablo's fault: this has happened entirely since I moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Anybody?

On the how to get animations, I'd appreciate a heads p to my home e-mail, david DOT lloydjones AT gmail DOT com.

Many thanks,

-dlj.