Chinese-Forums

The postmodern life of my aunt 姨媽的後現代生活

skylee

I saw the film today. It is a very well-made film and the leading actress Siqin Gaowa, who plays a Shanghai woman, is superb. However I do not like the ending as the style is a complete change. I think the story could end in a much more positive way.

I bought the ticket without knowing that the director, Ann Hui, would be there after the film for a discussion session. Hui is a veteran and respected director who has made many good and not so good films. Anyways I didn't stay ...

Chow Yun-fat and Zhao Wei are also in this film.

Official website -> http://www.postmodernlifeofmyaunt.com/

Some info on Asia Times -> http://www.atchinese.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28825&Itemid=91

I think the story could end in a much more positive way
I was expecting a happy ending, too, but was hoping it wouldn't come about - I'm not a fan of happy endings to please the audience (just saw Breakfast at Tiffany's recently, what a way to take the meaning out of a beautiful novel...).

I liked the ending as is: we learn that

the person who comes over so righteous all the time (quite exaggerated in the scene in the beginning, where she admonishes the woman preparing her food on the curb) has in fact let down somebody in her past, too. In the end, she got exactly what she was trying to flee from earlier.

What I did not like was the fickleness of the movie's style. Some scenes, such as the one mentioned above, or the ransom paying, were extremely ridiculous (the scene in the swimming pool in fact elicited two full minutes of continuous laughter from the audience...), while the end was trying to be bitterer than Jia Zhangke.

What I did like was the actors, in particular Chou Yun-Fat. The contrast with his role in Curse of the Golden Flower is incredible! And I loved the scene where they are dancing over the balcony in the traditional costumes - such a powerful expression of the make-believe happy life she is trying to lead!

All in all, I found the movie very captivating and highly recommend to see it, too.

• 3 weeks later...