Chinese-Forums

What to do with things you do not bring to China???

griz326

As the regular readers here know, I am planning to move to China in 18 months to teach English. I am allowing for at two years, maybe more...

I have an assortment of items of great personal value to me. Some of them cannot legally be brought to China and some of them are family heirlooms with only sentimental value.

My question is: What did you do with those irreplaceable treasures that you had back home that you could not sensibly bring to China?

I have a trustworthy friend, but he is old enough that he might pass away during my time in China. In the hands of his children, those treasures would be lost.

Perhaps by the time I am ready to make the trip I will simply decide not be possessed by possessions. However, I am not yet ready for that decision and am considering my options.

Clearly, if China becomes your new home, you bring over the items you can and sell the rest... But how did you handle this issue?

When we moved from Aus to the UK we put a bunch of stuff into secure storage till we were ready to either throw it or bring it over... there are some good storage facilities about perhaps look into something like that...

I would give them to my parents to keep for me. A second choice would be one of my brothers or a very good friend, but they are all likely to go abroad themselves sometime, so that wouldn't help much. Don't know if these are options for you.

I shoot and hunt with large caliber handguns and have a large collection of firearms.
You'll need the special 'I' or Invasion visa for that.
Surely you mean a Q visa?
Okkkk... I now see clearly the probability that some laowais can bring our harmonious society into jeopardy.

BTW, griz, have you considered hiding your treasure like most pirates did in the movies, as digging up a hole somewhere mystical, filling it up with your treasure and then drawing a map, which you can take along with you and chinese customs has no rights to confiscate at your entry into China. :wink:

I pose no threat to harmonious Chinese society, chenpv, modernization has already done the deed. Carpetbaggers are the next threat and they are already hard at work.

I've decided to pass on the keepsakes to family members early and sell all but the rarest firearms. I'll deposit those few firearms in a safe deposit box in a bank. Thank you for all of your ideas.

BTW - I am a law abiding citizen in every country I visit.

I tend to be very much 'travel light' so I'd probably mercilessly get rid of them all to be honest, but then I don't have a collection of really cool toys. Passing things on to family members sounds good - can always reclaim them later.

Incidentally, you might be interested in this - someone who came along a few years ago looking for help with characters on an old rifle.

If the items are small, why not get a safe deposit box at your bank. Things like jewelry, birth and marriage certificates,wills? (maybe even small handguns?) can easily go into these places, and I think you can pay up front fees for the rental. If it is your bank, I am sure they would be MORE than happy to do an automatic deduction from your account.

• 2 weeks later...

A good fire resistant gunsafe at a relatives house? That's my first thought. I would not put firearms into long-term storage at any storage facility, temp-controlled or not. Large safe deposit locker at a bank might be a choice. Some have facilities that would handle long arms. Or bring them to my house.:mrgreen: Actually, I'm also an NRA and Hunter Ed. Instructor.

• 1 month later...

I can only tell you that I placed all of my earthly belongings of any value in a 10 foot square climate controlled lockable space at a storage facility two years ago and have one family member with a key to keep an eye on them. I check it each summer visit to NA and trust the person and the facility to keep it safe. I also pay the rent by the year. Hope this helps.