Chinese-Forums

鋪天蓋地

Jinxx

Hello-

I ran into this phrase in some reading. "pave the sky and cover the ground" is clear, but i'm not sure about the sentence meaning as a whole:

這些時裝新概念鋪天蓋地進入到人們的日常生活中.

Just as a very general translation: "The clothes of this time resulted from the new ideas entering into the lives of the people in dramatic ways."

The article is about clothing styles in China's history. This section is discussing the eighties.

It basically means, "coming from all directions"
Incorporating Koneko's suggestion, you could perhaps have it as:

這些時裝新概念鋪天蓋地進入到人們的日常生活中

These new concepts on fashion entered people's daily life from all directions.

"expel into heaven and fall into the sea"? not sure how that'd be used.

then there's this one:

頂天立地

which i've interpreted as a description of a person who has really got it together: stature reaching to the sky while standing on the ground. yeah?

這些時裝新概念鋪天蓋地進入到人們的日常生活中.

Just as a very general translation: "The clothes of this time resulted from the new ideas entering into the lives of the people in dramatic ways."

That's funny!

I 100% understand what is that mean in Chinese, let me try if I can make it clear in English.

I think Koneko gets the point here, it really means "from all direction" and also "dramatically". When there is a new concept or fashion come up in our society or life that basically change the old concept in all ways and direction, and also quickly, we will describe it as 铺天盖地.

This idiom is vivid and hyperbolic, try to imagine that, the new concept come to our life like a big carpet, cover the sky and ground, change the old thing inside out.

That’s the explanation when it used in that way. It can also be used in many other ways depend on what the speaker want to express. Try to read the below and hammer out what it means.

1.最近关于神州五号的消息铺天盖地.

Recently there are lots of news about the manned spacecraft, Shenzhou 5.

2.同学对他的批评铺天盖地.

Lots of classmates criticized him.

3. 炸弹声铺天盖地.

The bombs exploded loudly.

4.学校运动会的宣传铺天盖地.

There is a big promotion about the campus sports meeting.

We also use it literally, for example:

“大雪铺天盖地地下着.”

“It snows heavily.”

Anyway, I just happened to remember another saying with similar meaning, i.e., 排天倒海.

I think it is 排山倒海 rather than “排天倒海”, and yes, there is some similarities between 排山倒海 and 铺天盖地.

Cheers!