Chinese-Forums

Age limit on teachers?

griz326

I celebrate my birthday in a few days and will be 56. I've been planning to teach in China starting next year...57. ...but in an exchange with an Australian teaching in Guangzhou, he mentioned the age limit is catching up to him... I ping'd him on this, but no response yet. He could be full of beans for all I know...

Does China impose age limits on the English teachers it hires?

Or is that something a school might do?

What are the underlying reasons for the age limit, if it exists?

TIA,

Steve

You'll be hirable by many schools. Some private children schools, however, may be a little weary as they consider "old age" = less energy and enthusiasm (which isn't always necessarily true). Most universities don't have much of a preference.

It'll also depend on what experience the school has had in the past. If they've just fired three twenty-something teachers for turning up drunk and cavorting with the female students, they'll probably jump at the chance to hire someone who might be more calm and stable. But if they've just seen the back of someone older who had health problems, moaned a lot, etc, they might prefer someone younger and 'flexible'. All a bit daft, but schools in China do tend to work like this.

Isn't there some State Foreign Experts Bureau-fixed age limit though? It's probably completely ignored, but might be handy to know.

Roddy

PS. Obviously I'm not saying that you will have health problems and moan. And you are welcome to turn up drunk :)

I think the biggest concern for the school will be health issues. If you can show that you're in good health I can't imagine there will be a problem unless the school has had problems with similar aged teachers in the past.

The school I used to teach at, one semester hired a teacher who was 83 years old.

I agree with Imron, I don't think there are hard and fast rules though private for profit english firms are more picky.

I had two retired New Zealand teachers at the Nanjing Audit school. They were in their mid 60s to early 70s and it was during the time of SARS. They got freaked out and only with the school bending over backwards, informing them of daily reported and confirmed cases of SARS did they stay.

They were in the suburban campus and enjoyed the teaching.

They taught for 4 years I think but went home after the SARS year. I didn't blame them, but it was good they stuck it out until the summer.

I have several 45+ -55+ friend who are teaching. Usually the universities are better places to find work, though the pay is less it is very stable and the class load is usually light.

Also Universities have you pay you more if you have a masters or PH.D degree.

Chinese culture seems to respect age.

Have fun,

Simon:)

I agree with Imron, I don't think there are hard and fast rules though private for profit english firms are more picky.

It's interesting you'd say that. My impression has always been that the more for-profit schools will take anyone capable of turning up with trousers on, while the state sector is a lot pickier.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roddy,

while the state sector is a lot pickier.

I just mean that the private centers often like people who look the part of a native english teacher, I.e. White caucasian, not too old, and slight preference for good looking and (though there are only a few of em) Females.

Again , I have not really seen any evidence of teachers being turned away on the grounds of age.

have fun,

Simon:)

• 4 weeks later...