Chinese-Forums

Working and Studying

interest41

Okay, I am currently a senior at the University of Arizona. I do not have TEFL (is that a big deal?). I will graduate in May. I have studied Chinese before and am probably at beginning level. I want to go to China (particularly Nanjing) in the fall for a year to study, but I have to work at the same time in order to afford to study. Is this possible and if so what is the best way? Right now I was thinking about directly enrolling in Nanjing Normal University and then working and flying over with one of those contracts specifying work for a year. I am really lost and really need some advice.

dear friend, you are from university of Arizona? i met my friend in January in my city, she is a physical scientist in your university.

there are many solutions to your problem.

1.you can use some keyword to search in google to find some school or university that in need of english teachers, it takes you some time to find them, but as i know, there are a lot, if you are not just focus on Nanjing.if they need you , they can give you work visa, then you can work for them, at the same time, usually these school/university offer some chinese study class for foreign teachers (free), then you see, the school/university provide the basic things you want. i am now working in Kunming city, i have some friends now working and studying in Yunnan University of Finance & Economics.that university is like what i say. they search that university by internet. you can visit if you like: www.ynufe.edu.cn

2.you can search some chinese study school/university on net, and write to them, easy to get student visa through them. after you arrive and settle down, you can try to find english teaching job in every city. if you have TEFL then it is better, salary will be higher, but if no, still not so hard to find an english teaching job.you know in china,

we need a lot of english teachers. pls get to know some local friends when you arrive china, they can help you with a lot of information.

good luck my friend, do not think it is difficult to study and work in china. welcome to china!

Lanny from Kunming

Hi , firstly to say about Nanjing its a big and a beautiful city , I study in Nanjing and few of my chinese friends said that Nanjing Normal University is a good one . U can do a job , it is not compulsory to have a TOEFL certificate .. but what I personally feel is to have a TOEFL certificate and a basic level of chinese .

You are welcome to Nanjing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

if your interested in livivng and working in Beijing, we are running and internship programme starting in sept 2007, this is both actual teaching and teacher training, for a full nine months. I'm not sure if the type of study you intend to do is in teaching English, or another field, if it is the internship programme could be a good choice. Otherwise we also do a four week intensive CELTA course (which I did, and the next one of which starts on the 2nd of June and then the 13th of october). If your interested you can look at our website: www.languagelink.com.cn or email me at qualify@languagelink.com

all the best, and I hope you enjoy life in China!