Chinese-Forums

China Japan Korea to jointly develop new OS

tokyo_girl

An article from today's Japan based Yomiuri newspaper.

Sounds like a force to be reckoned with!

Japan, China, ROK eye Linux-based OS

Japan, China and South Korea are expected to reach an agreement to jointly develop a new operating system (OS) based on Linux as an alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows, government sources said Tuesday.

Linux is an open-source OS, which can be copied and modified freely.

The three nations apparently aim to bolster the competitiveness of their information technology industries while also seeking to strengthen their computer networks against viruses and other factors.

They plan to formally sign the agreement this weekend after holding a bureau chief-level meeting in Beijing, the sources said.

Currently, an overwhelmingly large share of the world's computers run on Windows. Microsoft has been criticized because of damage caused by the easy spread of computer viruses due to the company's huge market share.

The governments of the three nations plan to design the new Linux-based OS for application to products in many areas such as home appliances, the sources said.

btw, if you have any recommendations for this OS, please post them to this thread (make this into a wish list :mrgreen:), as well.

open source programmers are doing their best to create a simple, affordable system for the world to use. the more we know, the better systems will be released.

everyone's feedback is valuable.

geek

Sounds exciting! I can't wait! :clap:

yay for linux based OS!

.....haven't really thought of anything to add to the wishlist at the moment. Hopefully it will be friendly to those who are learning CJK as to those who are fluent? :wink:

Please, for the love of all that is good, DON'T make it an RPM-based distribution! RPMs are a major pain in the butt.

I think the best way to do this distro would be to make it similar to Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org or one of the BSDs by using a system similar to Portage (in the case of Gentoo) or Ports (*BSD) to keep it up-to-date. RPMs tend to have major problems with dependencies, and it becomes a lot of trouble to keep the system up-to-date and stable. That's one of the reasons I don't use RedHat or other RPM-based distros. With Gentoo or one of the BSDs, you may have to do more configuration (a lot more), but you get a more solid system. I'm sure with all of the brains working on the project, they'll be able to come up with a system that finds a happy medium somehow...easy initial configuration, maybe with some of the configuration files set based on your location for the best update servers to use...I could go on for days about this. I've got ideas, but zero programming skills to help bring them about...

I've got ideas, but zero programming skills to help bring them about...

that's ok. the BEST ideas come from non-programmers, i think.

you will be very surprised to realize how inefficient programmers can be when it comes to satisfying user need. programmers are not necessarily smart. :D i am proof of that. 8)

keep the great ideas coming! this is nice to see.

tokyo_girl :lol: hahaha, good one!

geek_frappa....are you working on the project yourself? If so, it's really cool to be able to give the programmers some input.

Please don't make it similar to Redhat with the whole neutered "blue curve" interface. That bothers me because it takes the uniqueness out of Gnome and KDE.

I can't stress enough how AWESOME the Ports/Portage collections are, so I really, really hope something similar to those is used as a system for updates.

What are the chances of these suggestions being put into practice? If I had any more skills than just HTML, I'd love to help, but I just don't have the time to learn C or C++...I was about to once, but I realized that I just don't have time with all the other stuff I gotta keep up with (my stupid Microsoft certs and just networks in general, not to mention the fact that I'm studying Chinese!!! :D )...never enough hours in the day... :wall

:roll: ya. haha. one person. haha.

it will contain components of open source projects from thousands of programmers. LOL. feel free to post here, because i sent e-mails for my colleagues to read this thread.

post any idea no matter how crazy it seems...

have fun!! :clap

(can you tell that i am excited?)

Please don't make it similar to Redhat with the whole neutered "blue curve" interface. That bothers me because it takes the uniqueness out of Gnome and KDE.

something bad happened during the tech boom. a lot of programmers lost sight of their real purpose: to help people do things easier. only a few, like Google and Baidu, really focused on helping users.

Sina, Yahoo, MSN, Netscape... focused on selling...

the same thing happened when Linux distributions got their own stocks.

they forgot about the programming part of programming.

Well, I forget the actual process you have to go through to get it that way, but do you think you could find a way go make Gnome use anti-aliased fonts by default?

Here's basically what I'm thinking for the distro...

Gentoo has 3 different stages you can start with to install your system. I personally think that's great because you can basically configure your system to your own liking. If you start with a stage 1 tarball, you can go through the whole bootstrapping process and have a system that's perfectly optimized for your hardware. Or, you can start with a stage 2 tarball and have it still pretty well configured for your system. OR, you can start with a stage 3 tarball and have a basic system that's no less effective than Windows when you install it.

I think the new distro would be great based on that same system. It's great because the more technical people can have a more "personal" system. Those less technical can still have a good system, and faster because more is pre-compiled for them.

And the Ports system is wonderful because it takes care of dependencies for you. Everything basically knows what else it needs, and it installs it for you when you're ready. Sure, it takes longer to get new things installed on the system because of compile times, but you don't have to worry about being stuck in "dependency hell."

I'm thinking that, rather than users having to edit their own config files to get their update servers configured, maybe there could be a different config file for each country, or a script during the install (or after) that asks you for your country and city, and then picks the closest rsync servers to you and at least configures that part of the update config files for you.

Of course, that leaves the rest of the config file to edit, but I would think that there could be developed an automated config script that would ask you questions about if you want certain support to be compiled into your applications or not. And for those users that don't want to have to bother with that, perhaps the default config files could be set with the most common options. Or perhaps there could be a basic post-install script that runs on every system that detects which packages you have installed up to that point and then build the default scripts based on that. Ooh, ooh! Or there could be a daemon that runs on every system that detects when you install certain kinds of packages and then edits the config scripts for you. Am I making sense, here? I'm just kind of thinking "out loud" here.

These are just some ideas I've come up with that I think would be good to incorporate into the distro.

So, how many people (so far) in which countries are on-board for this project? Like I said, I've got tons of ideas, but I don't have any mad coding skillz to be able to help you guys out...

Any of this sound good???