Chinese-Forums

what do they mean?

Smoothie

This probably means a bank transfer. Bank transfers and traveler's cheques seem to be the only acceptable methods nowadays. I know a bank transfer sucks, because the bank charges a high fee for international transfers, but it may be your only option. Sending a traveler's cheque is risky (almost anyone can cash it) and you also have to check with the university first to ask if they accept that.

Unless the application instructions specifically say that the University accepts PERSONAL CHECKS, then you can do that. Personally, I have never heard of or seen a Chinese University that accepted personal checks for the application fee. Most of them want the money wired to their bank account. To do that, just go to your bank and ask them how much an international wire transfer would cost. In the US, the best rate I found was Wachovia - it's a $40 flat fee. I know, it still sucks, but cheaper than most other banks out there. You might also try www.westernunion.com, but email the university you are applying to first and ask them if they accpet that method of payment.

yeah, it's high, but i think there is no way around it (I checked), unless you know someone in China, who is willing to go to the Uni and pay them in person...

They do respond pretty fast, but it depends on where you are applying