Chinese-Forums

"Hovhannes" in Chinese.

Jade Empire

Please look up more info on the internet first before calling Chinese "a language that uses letters." BTW it's very hard to "approximate" your name to any characters. Hovhannes: Hov-, for an approximate you can use Korean characters, aka Hangul or Hangeul "hof", or "hov"(literally they use "bof" or "bov"). The only easy part is the -han- part of your name, that is, using the Chinese character for "han ren, Chinese people", or the Hanja for Han in Hankook, the modern name for Korea or appropriately South Korea; can also be used as a Chinese surname. Or the han in the name Johannes as in Johannesburg, South Africa, which is John in English. Note: Johannesburg = John's town or Johnstown in English. Check an English to Chinese dictionary and type in the name John to get yue-han, which is the approximate Chinese rendering of John and use the han part as a part of your translated Chinese name. People are now used to calling the words of the Chinese language "characters", even though the term "characters" were first used to describe Egyptian hieroglyphics symbols. -nes is either difficult or not so difficult depending on whom you ask in Chinese. Since there's no "hof" or "hov" sound in Chinese maybe you could use a character that sounds like the English word "How": How about "hao"? But unless you're a lady (Hovhannes sounds like a guy's name to me), nobody will use it as a part of their name, which means "good; well(very well); fine(I am fine)".

Hope this helps.

I am a male, and the reason I want to find it is because my father actually had a Chinese name (first, middle, last)... so I have the middle and last already done, but we don't know where he had done it (it was at least 30 years ago), and I want to use it as well - just with my first name.

What about Hovik? That is the shorter form of my name.

I am a male, and the reason I want to find it is because my father actually had a Chinese name (first, middle, last)... so I have the middle and last already done, but we don't know where he had done it (it was at least 30 years ago), and I want to use it as well - just with my first name.

If you want to follow your father's Chinese name, then you need to tell us what the last name is, as your name needs to be considered in its entirety.

First, a disclaimer, I am Chinese by ancestry, but not immersed in its language nor its culture, I am very much a beginner in Mandarin.

It seems to me that you want an "authentic" Chinese name, not just a transliteration of your name, is that correct?

Unlike Westerners, generally children do not take elders' names (for first and middle). So you said that you already have the middle and last, I am assuming that the middle is your father's middle name?

I take it that you are not Chinese at all, so your father will not have "generation" names, correct? Unless my assumption is incorrect, then maybe your middle name is the "generation" name.

You could try www.mandarintools.com to get some idea, and then some people here will probably be able to help you further.

I have a Chinese name, and it took me several months to decide on my son's Chinese name.

Good luck!