Chinese-Forums

Google IME - Google Chinese Input Method Editor

student

Ok I've reported both errors. Now we just have to wait and see if Sogou 3.7 has these errors fixed. I still think Sogou is way better than Google because you can do things like this and that it is MORE accurate with traditional than Google.

• 3 months later...

My office has rejected my request to install google ime at my work pc (because it is unstable). I've then requested the installation of sogou ime and have been told that approval is unlikely. I think the IT people of my office a) don't trust freewares; B) don't trust any website that is written in simplified Chinese (really conservative people, though I don't blame them considering the importance of the systems).

So I think they will let me have a better input software if they need to buy it. Please does anyone have any suggestion on a good hanyu pinyin input software for traditional Chinese that costs money and that is sold in a shop (not downloadable)?

Skylee:

I've used the following IME back in the day, so I can vouch for it. I don't see anything specifically about non-download sales on the site. This seems like a small company though and it might be worth asking them if they would throw it on a disc and ship it to you. Something of a long shot but maybe worth a try?

http://www.njstar.com/

Good luck!

My request has been turned down as expected.

Could anyone comment on how good the 微软拼音输入法2007 (PRC version) is compared to sogou and google? My office PC has Windows XP with MS Office 2003 and the Chinese IME are "MS New Phonetic IME 2002a" (traditional script for Taiwan) and "MS Pinyin IME 3.0" (simplified and traditional scripts for the PRC). Is 微软拼音输入法2007 better? Will it be compatible with my PC? I think if it is comparable to sogou and google, I might want to install it. The IT people might say yes to a microsoft product.

Grateful for any advice.

The Windows IME over Sogou and Google - I like the Windows version because it has IME Pad, allows to draw characters with a mouse, which are then recognised.

It's always good to have this option, when you don't know the pinyin pronunciation and have trouble finding by stroke count or radicals.

The version with the IME Pad is larger - about 70 or 80 MB, not 30 MB (this smaller version only lets you work with radicals). I finally (a couple of months ago) got the version for Vista as well.

Even the older version of IME - MS Chinese IME 2003 is better than Sogou and Google for the same reason but that's me. It works on XP but not on Vista, though.

The Windows IME over Sogou and Google - I like the Windows version because it has IME Pad, allows to draw characters with a mouse, which are then recognised.

You'd sacrifice all the functionality of predictive input methods like Sogou and Google just for handwriting input? There are plenty of other tools that can do that for you in the event you can't recall a certain character's pinyin e.g. Wenlin (software), nciku (free dict website), bubugao (electronic dictionary), etc. I never understood those occasional posters whose weapon of choice is the default Windows IME. Unless... the Vista version is actually half-decent? :lol:

I never understood those occasional posters whose weapon of choice is the default Windows IME.

Oh the irony... (name of the poster vs calling Atitarev an "occasional poster"... :mrgreen: )

I much prefer ms 2007 over 2003 (which I think lacks so much functionality its next to useless...) sougou and google definitely have the edge, even with the drawing ability of ms... I do like ms 2007 however... its very nearly on par...

You'd sacrifice all the functionality of predictive input methods like Sogou and Google just for handwriting input? There are plenty of other tools that can do that for you in the event you can't recall a certain character's pinyin e.g. Wenlin (software), nciku (free dict website), bubugao (electronic dictionary), etc. I never understood those occasional posters whose weapon of choice is the default Windows IME. Unless... the Vista version is actually half-decent?

Tooironic, if you don't agree with something or you have a different choice of tools, no need to call me an occasional poster, he-he. I joined in 2004, by the way, it doesn't mean I have more rights here but I definitely posted more than you, even if there was a stretch I couldn't access the forums from work. I am comfortable with Windows IME, even if I don't have to draw.

Just checked and Sogou seems to do the same thing. Wenlin also seems to lack 症 as a traditional character.

Roddy, Wenlin uses ABC dictionary. Not too often but there could be some mistakes. Not many people know it but you can edit both the character and the word dictionary in Wenlin or add new words, or new character definitions. Replacing character definitions where a simplified character can also be a traditional but not always is a bit tricky. I will try to do it. Which reading is for the traditional? zhèng or zhēng?

Edited by atitarev

I'm sorry atitarev, I think my original post was misread. What I meant was that there are posters who post occasionally that they prefer Windows IME, not that there are posters who post occasionally and that use Windows IME. If that makes sense? I guess what I should have said was that "I never understand those posters I read about every now and then whose weapon of choice is the default Windows IME," or something to that effect. In essence I was trying to communicate that people who prefer Windows IME are in the minority, or so I assume.

By the way, could you answer my question from that reply as I'm still curious if the Vista Chinese IME is actually half-decent? Cheers.

I am using Vista Chinese IME but there are two versions of it, if I am not confused. I can't find the exact download link but the file is about 70-80 MB, not 30-40. Not sure if it's half decent, since I didn't have any problems with Chinese Windows IME 2003 either, also, it's not the default XP IME but requires a separate download. Since I only use pinyin input (and IME pad occasionally) and my Chinese is only intermediate, I didn't have issues with either. It's always harder to type words, you don't know the pronunciation of or uncommon names.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I can put down all those novels and try to do something else.

I now want to try 微软拼音输入法2007 (PRC version) as mentioned in my #45. But I have two questions. 1) which one should I install, MSPY.msi (82.6 MB) or MSPYExpress.msi (21.9 MB)? What is the difference? and 2) it supports output in traditional characters just like sougou ime and google ime, right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

So where did you get that 82.6MB version from? So that's a version of Microsoft IME that allows you to switch back and forth between jianti and fanti, or did I misunderstand something?

I've been happy using the zhuyin-based input systems, you don't need a TW keyboard layout since the layout is quite easy to memorise, after all they're ordered according to phonemic principles :mrgreen: But it is annoying having to change back and forth between different input formats, so I've installed Sogou and am reasonably pleased with it. However I will keep the Microsoft IME for the time being, because

1) having to enter the tone marks gives me additional practice :mrgreen:

2) sometimes TW usage prefers different characters, for instance this chengyu: 臥薪嚐膽 with Sogou, 臥薪嘗膽 with Microsoft IME, which is the official version as sanctioned by the Taiwanese Ministry of Education Chengyu Dictionary. The problem of the duoyinzi seems to have become better, but I haven't tested it extensively, but it gets things like 千鈞一髮 right.

However, one big problem I have with Microsoft IME is that it doesn't seem to have a convenient way to enter punctuation marks. Actually, I haven't yet found a way either with Sogou to enter the two different types of commas, it only allows me to enter one. Anybody know how to do that?

Also Sogou seems to be trying to connect to the internet all the time, I think good ground for IT deparments to turn it down :wink:

Once I saw a Taiwanese friend use an input method that would show the characters really really big, I'm not sure if it was a Microsoft IME for the TW version of windows, or something else. It also seemed to allow for the input of entire sentences. Anybody heard of that?

Sorry about putting a lot of different things into one post...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Is there a way to get the google IME to accept tone numbers? It does an amazing job without them, I admit, but I want them for (1) single character inputs for common pinyin syllables, and (2) for practice, I find the best way to determine which characters I have the tone wrong is to enter them via an IME and then not find them :-)

• 9 months later...

I entered "isj" into Google 输入法 by accident and it displays the current time. Are there other shortcuts like this? (By the way, I am writing this at 22:26,or 22时26分,or 二十二时二十六分). Kinda fun.