Chinese-Forums

How Do I Make Muslim Bread????

sarbear3686

Hi,

I was in China over Christmas doign some study at BLCU in Beijing and i absolutely fell in love with "Muslim" Bread. I'm not really sure if that is what it's called but we bought it from a muslim restaurant so that's what we called it. It almost looks liek a pizza base and it's the most yummy food i tasted in China. Does anyone know where i can get some information on how to make this stuff?????? Please do tell!!!!!!!!!!

You mean 馕 (nang2) of the Muslim Restaurant in BLCU, don't you? Ah~~~~ it's really yummy, especially when I get hungry. I just ate one last night.:mrgreen:

You want to make a nang by yourself? So you need a big stove and a hammer with flower seal, I think. That will probably be difficult. Why not to ask a chef in that restaurant?:mrgreen: They should be zealous to give curious international students some information about nangs.

I had the pleasure of eating at Restaurant Uyghur in Montreal lately, which claims to be the only Uyghur restaurant in all of North America. It was pretty good Uyghur food(maybe even better than 'Muslim' at BLCU), although it was very empty.

Hope nobody minds if I piggyback a question, but what is the word for this bread in the Uyghur language? Isn't it just "nan"? If so, why did they pick "nang", considering Mandarin has plenty of characters with the "nan" sound?

I asked a bread-seller this qestion once and he used another Uighur word which wasn't "naan". I think "naan" is just coming from the Persian "naan". Perhaps they thought "nang" represents the long "a" of "naan" better than "nan"?

Even though my friend insisted it has to be called "nang" even in English, I think in English, it should just called "bread", "flatbread" or "naan", because "nang" means "bread" or "naan". Maybe the disagreement arose because bread is usually translated as "mianbao".

I found a basic recipe here:

http://www.9559.net.cn/fengweixiaochi/xinjiang/200607/12259.html

Going from that link I think the basic recipe is "add salt to flour, then yeast, mix, add lukewarm water, shape, knead then leave to rise, then bake". I think you have to remember to use strong flour for baking bread, and I think instant yeast is easier to use for beginners.

Here is an Iranian naan recipe which you could use for guidance although I think Uighur naan would use all white flour and not any wheat flour, also if you use instant yeast it reduces the steps:

http://www.persianmirror.com/cuisine/side/side.cfm#sang

I have heard some of the special flavour of street food comes from toxic substances such as alum (aluminium sulphate), so it might not be possible to replicate the taste exactly without sending yourself demented in older age. :D

The first semester I was in BLCU and I know the bread that you are talking about.

YEP its really delicious, I am a Turkish guy and can tell you that in Turkey

nearly all meals we eat many kinds of bread and this is only one kind, when we

go to restaurants we eat this kind of bread. But much more delicious than this one

than I advise my friend to make search about Turkish food and bread and I belive

it can be easily done. Dnt Worey:D