Chinese-Forums

Can anyone help me with Classical Chinese 古文 Grammar?

Xi'Er Dun

:roll:

In Classical Chinese 古文, by reading the Confucian Analects 论语 (論語), with the English and Modern Mandarin 普通话 translations, I have found that the posessive particle de5 的 is zhi1 之, to speak shuo1 说 (説) is yue1 曰, the question particle ma5 吗 (嗎)is hu1乎, I (personal pronoun) wo3 我 is wu2 吾, etc....

My question is that..... what is the Classical Chinese plural particle? as Modern Mandarin 普通话 uses men5 们 (們) Is it bei4 辈 (輩)? As I know that Archaic Japanese uses borrowed Classical Chinese character concepts, even though being unrelated languages, the Archaic Japanese 漢字 (汉字) for 我輩 wagahai (わがはい) which has the modern japanese meaning of 私達 watashitachi (わたしたち) and 我々wareware (われわれ) which have the same English meaning of "we"or "us" and wo3men5 我们 (我們) in Modern Mandarin.

Can anyone answer my question of what is the Classical chinese plural particle/ Classical Chinese 古文 equivalent equivalent of Modern Mandarin 普通话 men5 们 (們)? :roll: :roll:

Cheers from 澳洲 Australia from Xi'Er Dun 希尔顿 (希爾頓)

Classical Chinese does not distinguish between singular and plural.

See this thread below for some good introductory books to classical Chinese. It's tough, if not impossible, to learn it by reading original text alone.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/3857-any-good-advice-on-starting-to-study-classical-chinese&highlight=classical+book

Just as Gato said, Classic chinese does not distinguish between singular and plural.

We know whether it's singular or plural according to the context.Sometimes,some nouns,such as "chai2侪""shu3属""cao2曹""bei4辈",can be added to First Person (吾) and Second Person (若,汝,),but these nouns are not Classical chinese plural particles.