Chinese-Forums

looking for a good bookstore in Beijing

volga_volga

I am visiting Beijing next week and would like to buy some language books:

- for studying Chinese by an adult learner (beginner - myself)

- for studying English, by Chinese adult and children learners (for friends)

I have never been to Beijing!! But I recon this is the best place to buy language books. In Hong Kong, where I live, they don't sell China published textbooks, only Western ones (silly).

Can you suggest one good bookstore with the best selection of books? I don't have much time as I will be travelling on business. Do they offer delivery service? some books will need to be sent to Yunnan province...

thanks!

Olga

Wanfujing street is the main street in Beijing, a must for every foreigner.

Here there are two bookstore.

The small one (sorry i don't remember the name) is specialized in book for foreigner's languages.

Here you can find every book you want for learning Chinese.

You want the Wangfujing Bookstore (yes, that's its unoriginal name) o Wangfujing. It's at the bottom (south) end on the right.

The Foreign Bookstore (same street, about half way up on the left) also sells books for people learning Mandarin, but the choice isn't as great and you won't get the books for Chinese learning English there.

For deliveries, you might want to use 当当网, the Chinese equivalent of amazon.com. It's impossible to tell from their webpage which book suits your needs, though, so you'd be best of checking them out in Wangfujing first. If you need them in yunnan, you can just order them from dangdang afterwards and have them delivered there.

In fact, I think the two bookstores in the library of BLCU may meet all your need, if you don't feel troublesome to come to Wudaokou.

Besides, all books, including Chinese texts for learners from preliminary to advanced level, English texts for Chinese, dictionaries and other language stuffs, are at a 75% to 80% discout.

You know, there are many language student in BLCU, so the two bookstores (perhaps should include the third one, the BLCU Press bookstore at the south gate of campus) do benefit language learners around BLCU.

The one in WFJ is quite good. A even bigger one is TuShuDaJia (or something like that). I forgot the address. But you walk from WFJ, passing Tiananmen, always down that road. It's right on the road after a few Km.

It's right next to a subway station, but I forgot which one.

(a few minutes later......)

OK, found it: Bejing tu2shu1 da4sha4 3rd floor (Exit C of Xi1dan1 subway station)

While it is bigger, I found that the selection of the bookshop in Xidan was smaller the last time I compared. At least for Chinese learning materials, they stocked more copies of a smaller range of books.

While it is bigger, I found that the selection of the bookshop in Xidan was smaller the last time I compared. At least for Chinese learning materials, they stocked more copies of a smaller range of books.

I am not sure, the answer would require more analytical research. Both shops are good and worth a visit.

(w)olga

Check also the English learning sections. They have plenty of story books that are bilingual, one page chinese, opposite page english.

One thing I was looking for in WFJ store but didn't find, was Chinese reading material for beginners. there were many textbooks of various methods and schools, and some writing texts (incl the one I got, Mr Zhang) but not so many, or not at all, simple reading texts wiht annotation for beginner students.

I'll take a look at parrallel Eng/Chin books then.

Maybe have a look at this threat:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=105714

I was looking for exactly the same. Most suitable seem to be primary children books. So check the primary section for CHINESE children books.

I suggest to have a look at the books that I posted in the above link.

• 2 years later...

From what I've heard, BCLU's bookstore(s) have the best selection of resources for foreigners learning Chinese, anywhere in Beijing.

Personally I never have gone there except one day when I arrived and found out it was closed for a holiday. You would probably find more than you'd ever need at Wangfujing, though, and they have lots of other books too, so it always makes for an interesting trip (you can spend a couple hours in the store easily)

hey,

the best bookstore by far a far shot to buy Chinese language learning books is the one at the BLCU "New" South gate (it was new when I studied there 8 years ago, they might well not call it that anymore).

Way more choice than Wangfujing or even the book market.