Chinese-Forums

anything similar to 秋菊打官司 ?

Tobias

Hello,

I got to find recent movies from China that have the topic of how the regular chinese people see the legal system and themselves in it. Somewhat similar to 秋菊打官司 (The story of Qiu Ju) by Zhang Yimou.

Furthermore it would be nice if someone knew of recent discussion on this topic preferable accesible via internet and in English or Chinese.

Thanks alot for any help!

As you can imagine, any movie dealing with the Chinese legal system will have a hard time passing the censors. Therefore, there are very few movies on the topic.

《卡拉是条狗》(Cala My Dog) is the closest one I can think of. It's about a guy trying to get his dog back from the authorities after the dog is snatched due to lack of a license. I thought it was quite good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366655/

A review

http://lib.verycd.com/2005/01/11/0000034692.html

《卡拉是条狗》(Cala My Dog) (download)

Maybe not specifically what you had in mind, but Court House on the Horseback comes to mind. It tells the story of a traveling judge whose circuit includes Yunnan province. He's accompanied by a new recruit and his minority assistant who is being forced to retire. Very sentimental and charming and portrays how provincial justice is administered

To Live is Better Than to Die is a documentary focusing on a family that is AIDs infected due to the blood transfusion scandal from a few years back. The mother is the sickest, the father unable to work, the youngest daughter is ill, only the oldest daughter is not ill...so far.

Both are carried by yesasia.

edit: There's also a documentary making the rounds of film festivals and public television called China Blue that follows a 16 year old girl's employment in a blue jeans factory and how the factory bypasses labor laws. The factory owner is a former police chief of the town in Guangdong.