Chinese-Forums

“岂能尽如人意,但求无悔于心”是什么意思呢?

raincoat

岂能尽如人意,但求无悔于心

岂能:How can

尽如人意:match one’s wishes

但求:just hope

无愧于心:feel no regret

Though everything is in the lap of the gods, I feel no regret (after I have done my best).

Hope it helps! Hehe.:)

Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the reply. Just wondering when it comes to sentence then the meaning change, just like 尽如人意 originally means to match/achieve one's wishes but suddenly change to in the laps of the gods. Is this sentence can only be intrepreted like this? Thanks :)

Just wondering when it comes to sentence then the meaning change, just like 尽如人意 originally means to match/achieve one's wishes but suddenly change to in the laps of the gods. Is this sentence can only be intrepreted like this? Thanks :)

Hehe. In face, 岂能尽如人意 means “how can I expect everything matches my wishes”. Now, you understand why I translated it as “in the laps of the gods世事难料”, right? :wink:

And you have a lot of ways to express even the same sentence while doing translation. Hehe.:)

Thanks!

I think the below explanation should be close its meaning.

<<<

岂能:How can

尽如人意:match one’s wishes

但求:just hope

无愧于心:feel no regret

>>>

In ancient time of China, the scholar-bureaucrat expostulated the emperor with some suggestions, although he had already forecast the emperor was fatuous and was likely to refuse him. In this case, the scholar-bureaucrat could said he have tried his best, and no regret to the people and to his morality.

HashiriKata , I don't agree with you.

It focuses on the rule: Not every objective could be got as you hope.

But you can make you feel no regret. Normally it's because you've try your best. You have no other choice.

It isn't "不管"( do not care),but know it's out of your control.

May be you'd better learn about "天意".