Chinese-Forums

Tibet and China

chow0

i think the government claims to have evidence that tibet belonged to china and if you consider the size of tibet from a geopolitical point of view it shows you the motivations.:mrgreen: i dont think that they just did it to attract tourists

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Tibet was in fact considered part of China during the Ming dynasty, but more so on paper geographically and less so in regards to culture.

I know that during the Qing dynasty, under Emperor Yongzheng, as well as under his father Kangxi, the Qing were concerned in solidifying China's borders to the north (with Russia) and Southwest (Tibet region), campaining against barbarians.

The group to the southwest (in the Tibetean area) that concerned Kangxi and Yongzheng were called the Zunghars. This group quarreled with both Kangxi (the Zunghars were defeated in 1696) and Yongzheng (the Qing lost to the Zunghars in 1732, but reestablished the borders in that area some 30 years later).

During the semi-independent period between 1913-1950, even the Tibetan government recognized itself as a part of China. Here is the terms of Simla Convention of 1914 which Tibetan officials had drafted:

http://www.tibet.freeserve.co.uk/simla.html

It is understood by the High Contracting Parties that Tibet forms part of Chinese territory.

After the selection and installation of the Dalai Lama by the Tibetan Government, the latter will notify the installation to the Chinese Government, whose representative at Lhasa will then formally communicate to His Holiness the titles consistent with his dignity, which have been conferred by the Chinese Government.