Chinese-Forums

ZDT: help installing version 0.6.1 for a Linux newbie

atmartin50

大家好!

I just recently started using Ubuntu Linux after many years as a Windows user. I'm really enjoying Linux so far, but installing 3rd party software is still somewhat of a mystery to me, as I haven't had the time that I'd like to research the matter.

I love ZDT, but the instructions for installation seem a bit difficult to me. I've successfully downloaded the file to my home folder. It seems that I have the dependencies fulfilled, though I don't have Mozilla to my knowledge. When I tried to extract the file using a terminal window, I received this message as seen in the attachment.

Could anyone help me install ZDT by going through the process in a step-by-step manner? I'm very eager to study Chinese on my PC again, and to date I have no software installed for this on the Ubuntu side of my machine (and I don't want to run XP if I can avoid it!).

Thanks so much in advance!

1027_thumb.attach

Hey,

Did you make sure that the archive is actually in the directory that you're in? Do a 'ls' command to make sure. Once it's unpacked, you can go to the created 'zdt' directory and type ./zdt to run.

Let me know if you still have problems. I run Ubuntu myself as well.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your help (and sorry I'm only months late in thanking you!).

I got ZDT installed and working. However, if you don't mind, I have several questions for you:

1. Can I create an application launcher in order to avoid using the terminal? If so, how? And is there an icon that I can use (preferably the one in the ZDT splash screen)? I looked through the files but was unable to find it.

2. When I was using ZDT while running XP, I created backup files for my flashcards. Can those be used in Ubuntu? If so, how?

3. Please see my attached screen shot. What do you think could be causing the blurry characters you see? Have you ever encountered this before?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,

Aaron

1246_thumb.attach

Hi Aaron,

1) So here's how I create a launcher on my system (Ubuntu + Gnome). On the desktop, I right-click and choose 'Create launcher'. I type in a name and I fill in the directory to the zdt executable in the command field. Let me get back to you on the icon, there currently isn't one yet, but maybe I can steal the one from the Mac side.

2) You can definitely use the backup file between systems. It's just a text file. Just copy the backup file over to your Ubuntu system and use the Restore Data function.

3) I did notice the blurry characters on my system too. I think it's just the font. You can play around with the fonts in the Preferences (Window > Preferences > Font).

Hope that helps

Chris

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies, Chris! Much appreciated!

Everything is working fine now. I did get an error message when trying to restore my backup files, but I'll try again and let you know if I continue to have problems. Thanks again for all your help----I'm looking forward to studying again!

All the best,

Aaron

Hi Chris,

I ran into 2 problems just now:

1. Restoring the backup file from my XP days resulted in the error message you see in the attached screen shot.

2. After moving a few files around (which I probably shouldn't have done; being a neat freak, I like seeing only directories in my home folder), I get the error message seen in the other screen shot.

Could you help me to resolve these? Thanks very much in advance!

Aaron

1248_thumb.attach

1249_thumb.attach

Hi Aaron,

1) Can you send me your log files? There are two files, [ZDT Install]/zdt.log and [ZDT Install]/workspace/.log. Can you also send me your backup file as well? Did this error happen before problem #2? You'll need to fix #2 first and then check if it solves this problem.

2) So first, you need to locate your user.script and user.properties files. This is where all your user data resides. Then start ZDT, and go to Window > Preferences > Database. Click 'Change database' and select the location where those two files are located. Then restart the program.

Hope that helps

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Did you receive those log files I sent to you?

Thanks again for your help and advice! This is exactly what drew me to the Linux/Open Source community to begin with... I hope I get proficient enough in Ubuntu to help out some folks in the future just as you have helped me.

Regards,

Aaron

• 2 months later...

Hello there,

I installed ZDT but zdt but I need help with

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I use Ubuntu 7.04 (Gnome)

where i can set these environment variables ?

thanks for your help....