Chinese-Forums

Advice about getting a teaching job

dsallen

I would like to teach English in China next year. I'm a qualified English teacher (PGCE) from the UK, and I also have a Trinity TESOL certificate. Would I have any difficulties finding work? Which regions or areas would you recommend?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

David

With the quallifications you list, you would have no problem finding a job.

As to areas, it really depends on you and what you are looking for. Some people like the big city life in Shanghai or Beijing. Others like the isolation and challenge of working in very rural and undeveloped areas.

You will have no problem finding work anywhere you want in China. It would be impossible to recommend any one location as each person will like different things just as liuzhou said. However, no matter where you go you will have an unforgettable experience.

My school has a vacancy right now. We are based in Anshan City in the north east of China. Feel free to send me your CV and we can discuss things in more detail.

there are indeed plenty of jobs available in the middle kingdom but I would argue that there is a shortage of good jobs/good employers.

Take beijing as an example, jobs are a dime a dozen but there are frequent complaints from teachers about low or unpaid salaries, crappy schedules, sub-par materials. All that added to the fact that many schools don't even bother dealing with a teacher's paperwork because they don't want to or don't have the right paperwork to do so.

For a first experience, especially if you're "qualified" I always recommend going for a university position in a smaller city. It's a good way to ease your way in the field. The advantage is that you get the right paperwork, paid accommodations and return tickets plus more than enough money to live like royalty.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you do not mind me jumping in here, I am fixing to get qualified to teach English in China, and I had my mind sat on Boading! Is this a good area? I have been there 6 times because my wife lives there and we are awaiting the Visa for her to come here but in the middle of this process I think we are going to stay in China. I am in Nashville, Tennessee in America. But is Baoding a good city to teach English?

baoding is alright. It's pretty much non-descript anytown china! There are good connections to Beijing since it's halfway between here and shijiazhuang so it's pretty convenient.

I used to know a few people teaching university there and they seemed OK with it. Jobs don't pay a lot but there is a good potential for private classes to supplement one's income.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...