Chinese-Forums

Milk in Bags

roddy

I suspect what you are seeing is not expired - the date printed is date of production. Somewhere on the carton it will say something like - hang on, here's an example from my bottle of Sprite. . .

生产日期标于盖上,保质期12个月. = The date of production is shown on the cap, and will 'retain quality' for 12 months.

So basically, you usually need to look for the closest date. Common mistake. If I'm wrong and everything you are seeing really is expired, find a new shop.

You can get low-fat milk, but you might need to hunt around a little - ask for 低脂 or 脱脂. You can also get added calcium (钙) varieties.

As for taste, Chinese milk does taste different - basically, try a few different brands and hope you find one you like. There's also chocolate milk . . .

Milk question: Does anyone regularly drink breakfast milk? The stuff with eggs and wheat(?) in it? I'm not a big fan, though I find it less repulsive than I did at first.

ah, I was wondering about the breakfast milk...maybe I'll try it one day when I'm adventurous.

yeah, the poor student life sucks. We're "poor" students in two ways: 1) we're short on cash and 2) the vendors on the school campus take advantage of us b/c there isn't much around us unless we get in a cab and go to the Wu. I tried to buy an apple, and the woman tried to charge me 10 kuai.

I think some of the stuff is expired b/c you'll only find one flavor of yogurt that actually has a date sometime in the future and it'll only be two days into the future. But I'll look more closely next time b/c some stuff is probaby the production date and some stuff might be the expiration date. I'm glad you brought that to my attention! maybe I'll actually be able to buy milk products without fearing what I will feel like the next morning.

anyway, thanks for the always helpful info!

• 8 months later...

I quite like drinking yogurt from bags. It's far more convenient than the cups commonly used in western countries because you don't need a spoon to eat it, instead you can just squeeze it directly into your mouth.

this is a communist thing...had it all the time during Soviet Union days, and the cheapest, freshest kind is still sold in those bags...

So that is why Central American countries like Honduras have it too huh?

Oh and your line of reasoning is a bit tweaked there too. If they were real good communist they would reject milk...even the Russian soviets...because (are you paying attention?) milk was considered a pleasure engaged in by rich European countries (and the US too) during that era. They still drank it but dang if they didn't think England was horrible for loving milk in their tea.

in texas, milk comes in cows.

Auburn, Washington it does too. Thank you Smith Brothers Farm!

Waitrose's "milk in bags" was also reported here, together with the news about government departments in Chicago forbidding the use of bottled water.

三藩市政府部門禁用樽裝水

美國三藩市市長紐瑟姆日前頒布行政令,禁止市政府辦公場所使用樽裝水,以減少塑膠製品對環境的污染。

三藩市市政府日前發布的新聞公報指,美國為生產塑膠樽每年要耗費大量能源。此外,有關方面每年要投入大筆資金來運輸及處理舊塑膠樽。僅在加州,每年堆填的塑膠樽就有10億個。

紐瑟姆稱,美國人每年飲用的樽裝水水樽,要用超過1.5億公升石油製造。

禁令將從7月1日開始生效,屆時三藩市市政府任何部門不得購買及使用樽裝水。至今年12月1日,三藩市市管轄的各區政府部門也將執行此禁令。三藩市市公共設施委員會發言人溫尼克說,這項措施實施將有助控制氣候變暖,並節省納稅人的開支,他說:「市政府希望通過此舉為私營企業及其他城市樹立一個環境保護的榜樣。」

英國一間超級市場Waitrose亦將會棄用塑膠樽,改用膠袋出售牛奶,以減少膠樽的棄置量及節省生產膠樽的能源。

• 4 weeks later...