Chinese-Forums

what does it mean to "kwun" someone?

classic240

捆【kǔn】 tie; bind; bundle up; bundle.

The first thing that popped in my mind is "to tie up" , but what was the original context?

if it's some kind of slang or euphemism I wouldn't know. Hmm, you say you hear it all the time, then my answer wouldn't make much sense. I don't hear it much where I am.

A similar sounding word I do hear all the time is guan. 管 which means to concern oneself with.

What context are you usually hearing this in?

You may actually be hearing gun2 (don't know the character) which colloquially means "F' off". I often hear my colleagues throwing this back in forth when joking around, or from my girlfriend when I don't ting1hua4.

well i think it has something to do with being... tricked or being misleaded.. i think the jyutping in cantonese is kwun1

this one time my friend led another of my friends (a girl) to the boys washroom, and when she came back, she said something a long the lines of "omg tommy tau sin kwun ngor, and lead me to the boys washroom"

this one time my friend led another of my friends (a girl) to the boys washroom, and when she came back, she said something a long the lines of "omg tommy tau sin kwun ngor, and lead me to the boys washroom"

Hehe, I see! :mrgreen: This “kwun1 / 昆” is a Cantonese slang which means “trick, tease, or cheat”.

"omg tommy tau sin kwun ngor, and lead me to the boys washroom"
哼,Tommy 头先昆我,带我入男厕所。(in Cantonese)

哼,Tommy刚刚耍我,带我到男厕所。(in Mandarin)

Omg, Tommy teased me just now, and led me to the boys washroom.

Hehe, now you understand what is “be kwunned by someone”, right?:mrgreen:

Thanks!

哼,Tommy 头先昆我,带我入男厕所。(in Cantonese)

哼,Tommy刚刚耍我,带我到男厕所。(in Mandarin)

Well, that's it, being tricked, in Mandarine is 耍. And that's a very new phrase in Cantonese.