Chinese-Forums

"stele for shedding tears"

student

In his book, Remembrances, Stephen Owen writes ...

...Perhaps the most remarkable of these was the "stele for shedding tears," to-lei-pei, on Mount Hsien, erected for Yang Hu, the governor of the region in the mid third century. The Tsin history tells
Yang Hu delighted in the mountains and rivers. Whenever the atmosphere as particularly fine, he would always go off to Mount Hsien, and there he would drink and recite poetry, never tiring the whole day through. But once, overcome by emotion and sighing, he said to Tsou Chan and others, "As long as the universe has been, so long has this mountain been. Many have been the worthy and great men who, just as you and I now, have climbed here to gaze afar. They have all perished and are heard of no more 0 this is what gives me sorrow. If after my lifetime I still have any consciousness, then surely my sould will climb to this spot.... [After Yang Hu's death' the people of Hsiang-yang erected a sele and built a temple on the spot where Yang Hu used to take his ease on Mount Hsien, and every year they would make sacrifices to him. And not a single person who looked on the stele could help shedding tears, so that Tu Yu gaive it the name "stele for shedding tears."

Half a millenium later, Meng Haoran visited, and wrote a poem:

孟浩然

與諸子登峴山

人事有代謝, 往來成古今。

江山留勝跡, 我輩復登臨。

水落魚梁淺, 天寒夢澤深。

羊公碑字在, 讀罷淚沾襟。

or in Witter Byner's translation,

ON CLIMBING YAN MOUNTAIN WITH FRIENDS

While worldly matters take their turn,

Ancient, modern, to and fro,

Rivers and mountains are changeless in their glory

And still to be witnessed from this trail.

Where a fisher-boat dips by a waterfall,

Where the air grows colder, deep in the valley,

The monument of Yang remains;

And we have wept, reading the words.

I thought in this day of the internet that I would at least try to visit virtually, but according to http://www.mountainsongs.net/mountain_.php?id=151

This is what one sees now:

mountain151.jpg

If this is true, it seems a matter of great anguish... so much for changeless mountains in their glory...

Please tell me that this is the wrong mountain!