Chinese-Forums

Chinese Visa Medical Exam, Physical

Jordan620

I browsed through some of the previous threads about the physical exam needed to stay in China. It seems like a lot of people had to retake the blood tests upon arrival in China. I am scared of the Chinese hospitals and I would much rather get that stuff done in the US. Is this possible? If I do it in the US, do I need to go to a specific doctor? Why does China not accept some of the tests? I am getting a visa to study at BNU for a year starting in September. Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I had to get my blood work done also along with some other physical tests (x-ray, ECG). If you're in Beijing, I'm sure there are hospitals there that cater to ex-pats and are really good. If not, just make sure they use a new needle.

The chances of the health check being anything to worry about are minuscule, and it usually seems to work out cheaper and easier to get it all done here. If you want to worry about something, Chinese restaurants and roads are much more reasonable fears.

It's not possible to do the physical exam abroad and have it validated in China, as it is part of the 'Certificate of Health Examination for International Traveller' document, which is a requirement to obtain an 'Alien Work Permit' and residence permit. Many countries apply these kind of rules as part of their entry/exit quarantine policies.

From my personal experience:

Tried to do my physical exam in Ireland, but had to redo it over here.

Hospitals are substandard compared to most (but not all!) European hospitals. Can't talk for the US.

Just make sure that you check that the needles they use for a blood sample is really sterile, and has never been used before. (= it needs to come from it's sealed paper envelope, and from nowhere else).

Should they suddenly find some kind of medical abnormality, demand an independent examination to confirm or counter the case. No guarantee they will allow it though ... depending on local government laws. The usual guanxi may help ...

In my case, all went fine, except that they mixed up my blood sample with someone else's. Luckily, I saw it happen on time. So, keeping your eyes open is definitely necessary.

Again, this is only my experience in Shantou. As mentioned above, I presume most bigger cities have better facilities to accomodate foreigners ... at a more expensive price. However, if you're employer is paying for the examination fee (and they should, if you've been invited to this country), don't expect them to choose a 'fancy' hospital for you.

Not sure but about the student visa, but I do know that even Chinese students pass a medical exam once they enter university, and once again just before they graduate. This could be a local policy though, and it's best to contact the university/college where you (intend) to apply for detailed info.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input.

Yea, I found out I don't need it to get the Visa but the information sent to me from BNU said that I needed to bring it with me to school registration.

Does anyone know if I need to bring a copy of the chest radiograph? Or, do I just need to bring the results from chest x-ray saying there is nothing abnormal?

• 10 months later...

Bump, because I was about ask the same question in a new thread.Can someone please give a definitive answer? I'd rather do the exam once I'm in China than have one more thing to deal with here in the US, before i leave next month.

I'm currently studying in Beijing. From my memory, my friend had an X visa (people staying more than six months) told me that she didn't physically need to redo the physical examination. All she did was take alone the results from her home country to the hospital in China to get some documents stamped, saying that she was ok. But the process should be straight forward as my university organised everyone who needed to take the test to go together, so you were not on your own.

I would recommend you take all necessary documents with you otherwise something unexpected may come up. It's better to take more than less of these things.

To clear the matter up of whether you need to take the physical exam. If you're going for six months and holding an F visa you do not need to take the physical exam but if you are going for more than six months and holding an X visa you need to.

Hi all,

What would happen if you were found out to have some problem with ur blood (for example, Hepatitis B), would you be rejected? As my friend wants to go there, but hes just found out he has this problem, its not very harmful though,

Thanks for any answer,

From a Chinese embassy website ...

Any person suffering from a mental disorder, leprosy, AIDS, hepatitis, venereal diseases, contagious tuberculosis or other such infectious diseases shall not be permitted to enter China.

It doesn't list which type; it's either vague or all-encompassing, depending on your view ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To finish the exam itself, that should not take more than 30 minutes, assuming there aren't any complications they need to check further while you are there.

In my experience, the health exam results come back in 2-3 business days. Might be different in the locale you decide to do it in.

• 4 months later...

How hard is it to renew an F visa to avoid the exam? The reason I ask is that my blood is really hard to draw. I had some tests earlier this year and it took them at least 5 sticks every time I went in (different nurses) and eventually drew my blood from my hand. Apparently I have tricky veins. I know this is a weird case - I'm trying to avoid dealing with it in China. I'm totally healthy I just have annoying veins. :roll:

I'm planning to do a summer course through a US institution then switch to a Chinese university for the fall. Do you think It'd be possible to do a F visa for each?

Thanks

• 8 years later...
  • New Members

Does anyone know what form(s) I need to get the annual health examination done inside China?    (I used the 'Certificate of Health Examination for International Traveller' when I had it done in the US prior to my first year.  Is the same one used when the exam is done in China?)  

I teach English and will be changing universities over the summer, moving from Hubei to Jiangsu province - in search of better air quality.    Since I need to get a new health check, I would like to get this done in Beijing before I leave - (one less thing).   I believe I can get this done on a walk-in basis at the Haidian Clinic of Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center.   But I do not know if I need to prepare any forms prior to going there.  (or what information I may be asked to provide about my employment situation  job/employer address/phone, etc.)    

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Many of us I guess are preparing all the stuff for the visa.

The first time I went to China, I had a X2 visa so nothing too difficult.

But this time, I'll have to ask for a X1 visa. Now I remember, back then, my friends who had done all their medical examinations in France had to do all of them in China again, and of course had to pay for that. I want to avoid that so I want to know what are the requirements ? I mean for example do we have to legalize the physical form somewhere ? I guess we have to bring all the originals with us, right ?

Thanks guys

At the health clinic / hospital in Xi Er Qi, Beijing you just need to show up with your passport. I didn't have to fill any forms in before arrival. 

They also "authorise" medical examination results from abroad. In that case you hand them your results, pay a fee then if you're missing a test, they just get you to do that particular one. 

At least the above was always the case when I went to this clinic. It may be the case for others as well. However, it probably depends on the city. In Yinchuan they had no authorise option. If you already did the tests you had to do them again.

It's best just to wait until you're here to do the tests if possible.