Chinese-Forums

BLCU Summer 2007

jess793

Hello everyone!!!!! My name is Jessica I'm 20 from the U.S and just starting to learn Mandarin.... I'll be studying in Beijing this summer. I'm doing an 8 week program in BLCU starting June-Aug. I wanted to know if anyone else was planning on going the same time!! I'm traveling by myself so it would be nice to know who will be there! I also wanted your opinion on the program I chose to go with. It's 8weeks which includes accomodations and fees,books, tours,insurance...(no food,airfare) for 2,500. Am I getting ripped off?? I really haven't found anything cheaper than that..please let me know of a recommended program!!! I would REALLY appreciate it. I look forward to hearing of anyone going this summer...it would relieve me alittle!!:D

That doesn't sound bad at all! I paid several hundred dollars more than that for a *4 week* program a couple years ago and it didn't even include insurance! I think using a program can be really helpful because it was easy to make friends, knew I'd have people to rely on if I needed help, knew everything would be set up for me when I arrived, and made the application and visa process so much easier! (Especially for my first trip) I'm looking into going back this summer with a cheaper program as well :)

Hi Jess,

I was planning to go with ChinaStudyAbroad but decided to do things myself (for many reasons). They do indeed seem to be the cheapest agent out there, and were very quick to respond to my queries. However, you can save quite a bit of money if you do things yourself instead.

For example, this is ChinaStudyAbroad's BLCU program prices:

http://chinastudyabroad.org/blcuuniv_fees.htm

As you point out, getting the cheapest dorm will set you back US$2550, and US$3150 for a room in a local 3 bedroom apartment.

Now consider BLCU's fees:

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lzb/lx/english/table/Chinese%20Language%20Program%202006.doc

Their 8-week program (as 2x4weeks) is 7000RMB. And for accommodation:

http://www.blcu.edu.cn/lzb/lx/english/fees.htm

It starts at 50RMB/day for the twin share room. For 8 weeks + 1 week holiday that'd be 3150RMB.

Alternatively you can rent a room in a local apartment for around about the same price.

So all up you're looking at 10150RMB... let's call it 11000 for various other fees.

That's only US$1425.

Of course, it doesn't include tours and insurance and you don't have an agent to fall back on, but for a school that's easy to apply to like BLCU I'd find it hard to justify that extra US$1000/US$1500.

I'm starting the 12-week program at BLCU in a couple of weeks. I applied myself with no problems - altho' I left it too late to get the student visa sorted out so I have to convert it when I get there. I'm going to share a flat which will get me out of the all-foreigner campus a bit more.

As for where to get a cheap airfare, go and learn the characters for BeiJing, then take a walk around your local Chinatown. I did this and saved 1/3rd off the best fare that 'normal' travel agents could do for me, with less stops too (flying AirChina). Although... I haven't got on the plane yet :-).

As far as cheap airfare, United just opened up a non-stop to Beijing, and as a result were running super fare deals between major US cities and both Shanghai and Beijing. They had posted March 9 at first as the end, but then I saw it again the other day with March 23 as the end. It is hard to find from United's website, but I went to cheap tickets. There are flight restrictions for RT (like all travel is supposed to happen before June 1), but you might be able to swing some sort combo ticket. Frontier also had cheap flights.

FyKnight and Xianu: Thank you for your response!!

FyKnight: I thought about what you said, and even though they charge more, I think for my peace of mind I'm going to go with them. I heard getting dorms in BLCU can be tricky and atleast I will have CSA there to be my intermediary. Thanks again for your response!

magicianb: If you're registering on your own I don't know how you can get the 8 week program. I'm going with CSA the website is collegestudyabroad.org, they offer an 8 week program!

try getting a flight online with one of the online travel agents. i have always found them to be cheaper than any shop based travel agents. just have to have some patience playing around with dates/times and airlines and you will get the best deal.

agree with previous postings. BLCU is very easy to apply to although they are sometimes very slow in responding to emails. download an application form off their internet site and pay USD75 application fee to them by bank transfer - send a copy of the bank receipt with your completed application forms and other requested documents to them by snail mail - they don't accept faxed applications. Phone them after a few days once the application gets to Beijing and get them to update u on the status of your application. They should send enrolment forms to you within 2 weeks.

your only problem then is sorting out accomodation. your problem is that you only have a 8 week course so accomodation option is either dorms or cheap hotel. the more expensive serviced apartment is also an option, but of course a lot more expensive and according to my internet research there are very few of those in wukaodou.

re: dorms, your enrolment forms from BLCU will include details of how to go about getting a room from the university accomodation office. however it appears from the enrolment forms that u have to get to the university physically first before u can sort out a dorm room. i' going to BLCU soon, but decided against dorms as i'm a oldie. i did my time in dorms.

• 4 weeks later...

jess! i would like to ask how was ur stay in BCLU? was ChineseStudyAbroad a good agent? i was planning to enroll in their program too but in Beijing Mandarin Academy because its the only one with flexible schedule...but i think im going to get delayed for some crazy personal reasons:( anyway, i would like to know how the program went and how was your stay. Thanks so much! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm thinking about going back to China this summer to study, in Beijing this time. BLCU seems like a good option. Anyone from these forums headed there for the 4 week program during August? Anyone been through it before and have an opinion on it? I was intending to apply straight to the university, not go through any third party.

And man are we ever going to cook out there, it'll be so freaking hot in August! The last time I was in Beijing, it hit 40 degrees C one day in June! Can't imagine what August will be like!

BLCU is kinda like one big party, lots of other foreigner students so you will never be short on fun and awesome night outs. however, the downside to that is you'll have an inclination to mix with foreigner students only, and you'll find yourself speaking primarily in english. if you want to improve your chinese during the 4 weeks, then it's best to also make friends with the locals (there are lots of local students at BLCU) and have a chinese tutor (language partners dont really work out because you'll end up conversing in english all the time). if you force yourself in situations where people only speak to you in chinese and vice versa, then the process of picking up the language will become much much easier. trust me, it's a tried and tested method =)

i spent a year at BLCU in 2006 and loved it -- the quality of teaching is fantastic and the fact that it is so close to wudaokou was a big plus.

I will be happy to let you know my experiences in Beijing!! I will be leaving June 25 (I finally found a semi-decent price for my airfare)! So far the program I'm going with has been really helpful but I will let you know in more detail when I get back.

Thank you for all your comments!!:)

HI Tysicus!!

I'm heading to BLCU in June and will be there until the end of August. I have researched a lot about BLCU and it seems like the best university to go to. They specialize in teaching Mandarin to foreigners, but like redmini said that might be a downfall because you'll tend to speak english to them. Anyways, If I can I'll let you know once I get there exactly what I think about it and if you have any specific questions I will probably be more knowledgeable once I'm there!!

I'll be there from July - August for a 6 week program. The only thing I'm worrying about is accommodation, Ideally I'd like to get something sorted before I arrive but my Chinese isn't good enough to do such a thing over the phone.

Im heading back to beijing this summer and wanted to know if anyone knew of accomodations (shared apartments) that i might be able to get a room in.

Iv been in beijing for 2 years previous and studied at the BLCU so i know my way around.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jess - I'm 23 and from England. I have also enrolled on the 8 week BLCU course from june to august. I was in Beijing for a month last summer and everyone i met told me that BLCU was the best place to go if i was to return.

Have you learnt any mandarin before? what date are you planning on arriving in China?

Hi Jess et al.

I really think BLCU would be great to attend this summer, but just one thing holds me back - being that its summer, there aren't going to be Chinese students on campus right? They'll all be on vacation leaving just us foreigners. When I studied previously in China in Harbin I found one of the best qualities of the program was that you were able to mingle with the local students because we went during their semester, and study with them, hence paying for tutors was totally unnecessary. Anyone have an opinion on this as far as BLCU is concerned?

As a result, I'm thinking of trying to find a university somewhere that'll take me for just 3 weeks during the Fall semester before Christmas. Is there a university (be it BLCU or anywhere) that might let me drop in like that? I would rather not do the private school thing.

Thanks.

Hi everybody!

I've already written another post but I don't see it (sh)

Anyway, I'm going to Beijing next summer (4 weeks course at the BLCU), starting from the end of July...

I'm a little concerned about the accomodation:roll:

As for the meals, do you have some info & tips about cafeterias in the campus??

How much for a meal?

Hello everybody! My name is Ann and I'm from Moscow (Russia).

I'm going to study in BLCU this august. I want to live on campus there (information on that is on the blcu.edu.cn web-site) and I'm just gonna call them in July and try to reserve a room or something (not sure if that is possible), but it seems, accomodation is not such big problem. I hope the heat won't be a problem either, because there is air-conditioning in every room.:)

>>As for the meals, do you have some info & tips about cafeterias in the campus??How much for a meal?

As far as I know, food in beijing isn't expensive at all. And there are several cafeterias in the campus.

There is useful information here: http://www.asianz.org.nz/node/99