Chinese-Forums

BLCU Summer 2007

jess793

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all!

My name is Jason, I'm from California, and I'm in the 8 week program too.

Does anyone know exactly when the program begins? I'm guessing Thursday...

Anyway, it would be wonderful to chat with any of you guys; my screen name is: digitaldelirious.

Take care~

gosh i have been looking for a site or anything with info on people who are going, i'm so glad i found this site!! jess, i guess you're leaving today? well have a safe flight, i hope to see you in a few weeks~ :) anyone going, please add me on MSN

yve117@hotmail.com. you can find out more about me by clicking my handle if you like :) look forward to talking to you guys, and hopefully exploring beijing together~ :)

i will be goin for the july 12 - aug 22 program, and will be staying in the student housing. arriving 9 july...hope to see you guys then!

Hello everybody! I've recently heard that there is no room on campus this summer. If anyone is in Beijing already or has any information about it, please write if it's true. :help

PS: By the way, are you going to stay on campus or at SAC or maybe rent an appartment nearby?

hey jess~ nice to hear you're having fun. how's the weather like? shorts a must 24/7? lol i'll be leaving tomorrow night and arriving in beijing Wednesday mid-afternoon...i can't wait! haven't even started packing...must remember to bring my dictionary! :mrgreen:

I just arrived today, I am staying at the XiJiao hotel while I call around people to try find an apartment.

Could anyone give me some information on cool places to go and visit and how to go about getting there, Beijing is a little daunting compared to Suzhou and HK.

Hello, I'm posting from the BLCU library. I arrived yesterday and was able to get a room in buliding 4, #202 with no problem. While it isn't great it is certainly livable, and is actually a slight improvement over my dorm room at KU. So far I am enjoying the campus and the cheapness of food, and water. If anybody wants to meet to explore, hang out, study etc. please email me at aaron-marshall@excite.com or come by my room and knock (hint i'm the white guy). I don't have a beijing sim yet but will probably get one today.

i'm in beijing!! wow it's amazing, havent really been anywhere but i'm just happy to be here. went to blcu this morning for registration, saw a lott of other students but didn't manage to talk to anyone yet. the room i got is great, in building no.8. so nervous cause we have the placement test tomorrow! mine's in bldg no.3. good luck to you all!

Anyone able to tell me how much I should pay for a second hand phone and where I can get one around BLCU. Me and my friends asked a guy just outside one of the gates (near xijiao hotel) if he would be able to unlock our UK phones so we can use Chinese sim cards. He told us this particular type of phone is hard to unlock and would cost us 200 kuai for both phones then as we walked away he then offered 75 kuai each. Someone told us we can probably get a cheap second hand phone for around 60 kuai and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where?

He told us this particular type of phone is hard to unlock and would cost us 200 kuai for both phones then as we walked away he then offered 75 kuai each.

What brands of phones do you guys have? I'm wondering what would make a phone "harder" to unlock vs. others?

Someone told us we can probably get a cheap second hand phone for around 60 kuai and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where?

I don't know, I think 60 RMB would be pushing it. But two popular places to get grey market and second hand cell phones are at muxiyuan and xizhimen.

By the way, welcome to Beijing!

Me and my friend both have Motorola's, mine is a V3X and his is a V3i, I think.

He originally stated that it would cost 50rmb to unlock my friends and 60rmb to unlock mine because aparentley it's more complicated to unlock which I don't understand since both phones are pretty much the same in terms of software.

Then he changed his mind and told us that it would infact cost 100rmb each because of our phone brands.

Just as we walked away he changed his mind and offered 75rmb each which I kind of expected him to do. I couldn't imagine someone turning away business. It still seemed quite a steep price to pay for unlocking a phone so I decided not to bother with it.

I'm arriving 24th july (4 weeks course 26th jul-22nd aug): I'm packing, trying not to forget anything...:roll:

Hello, I'm posting from the BLCU library. I arrived yesterday and was able to get a room in buliding 4, #202 with no problem. While it isn't great it is certainly livable, and is actually a slight improvement over my dorm room at KU.

I'm glad of hearing this! I should have a room in building #4 as well and I was a bit concerned about the accomodation...

Is the dorm quite clean/decent??

You shouldn't have to pay anything to unlock your phone, but you need to do it through your cell phone company. I had to request an unlock for my razor from t-mobile before I left and they emailed me the code and directions how to do it the next day.

Also if you get a sim, and plan on making international calls, make sure you also get a prepaid calling card because it will quickly eat up your minutes.