Chinese-Forums

Re Gan Mian (热干面) - How to make?

panthr

Easily my favorite type of Chinese noodle, ate them pretty much every day when I was visiting Hubei. I've never been able to find an actual recipe, but the Wikipedia article (Chinese version, the shorter English version is here) on them gives the basic ingredients and steps. Also found a page here which gives you photos of the noodle-cooking part of the process.

I see you're located in the US - the trickiest part for me has been finding the right kind of noodles; Japanese soba work pretty well, and even spaghetti will do the job in a pinch, but it usually takes a bit of hunting to find authentically Chinese noodles for this. Some restaurants in New York at least sell a pretty close approximation as "sesame noodles" or "sesame peanut noodles," though there are other "sesame noodle" dishes that are completely different.

the trickiest part for me has been finding the right kind of noodles; Japanese soba work pretty well, and even spaghetti will do the job in a pinch, but it usually takes a bit of hunting to find authentically Chinese noodles for this.

Lots of Chinese supermarkets in the US sell packages of dried 山东拉面 imported from China. I think those should work. They are cheap, too. Something like $4 for a 5lb. package.

http://www.21food.cn/offerdetail/416617.html

山东拉面

i grew up in Hubei, and ate Re Gan Mian almost every morning. It is not easy to make it, especially the noodle preparation. you know, noodles are normally processed on last night, or very early in the morning. some kind of alkali is added to help the process.

• 3 months later...

热干面 has been the most popular breakfast in Wuhan for hunderds years.

Wuhan people like to go to restaround or 路边摊 to have the 热干面。most of them dont meke 热干面 at home.

the most important thing for making 热干面 is 芝麻酱 (sesame sauce), and it's hard to get the good one.

so, if you want to make it at home, you can find the following thing~

spaghetti, peanut buter, soy sauce, salt, black peper, green onion

boil the spaghetti, and dry it out ( dont make it too dry), put peanut butter, soy sauce, salt, green onion, black peper (i like to put some msg) together and mix it up. if you can find some flavord choped dry lobok(萝卜干),that will be perfect.

since my poor english~ it's hard to tell you the portion those thing.....