Chinese-Forums

Anyone goes to Beiwai or BFSU

Leodude

I havn't heard much people saying about Beiwai in this thread. Has anyone got any experience learning Chinese here? I would like to know the teaching style, the atmosphere around the campus, accommodation ect. Please share your experience. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I will also start a one-year chinese language study in Beiwai.

The English web-site of Beiwai does not work. Since 2005, as i learned from this forum.

And i have hardly found information in English from the internet.

So, any advice for newcomers would be double-appreciated.

--

One specific question, does anyone know how tough could BFSU byrocracy be?:

In a letter they sent me it says I need to bring the "original copies of my Foreigner Physical Examination Form along with blood test results". I have little hope of doing that since I 'cleverly' sent the originals with the initial scholarship applications to the Chinese Scholarship Council. So what do you think? - Will I be in trouble? Publicly slaughtered?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've been in Beiwai for a few days now and I'll write a bit about it for anyone interested.

The registration process takes a lot of time. Maybe 2-3 hours. You need cash almost everywhere. About a half of the staff speak some English. It's a good idea to make copies of the passport and visa since they take these away for some days.

The physical exams about which I was worried about in the previous post can be skipped even with papers not in English or which are not original if you speak loudly enough with the workers of some travel hospital where all the students are taken to at one point.

Foreigners in Beiwai live in the "Bailou" ("White Building"). In my opinion, it's pretty luxurious considering the local standards. The rooms, showers, bathrooms etc are OK.

The internet you have to buy in yourself from an office nearby. The worker there speaks only Chinese. 100Y per month. At least right now, the connection is mostly OK, but does often cut off for little whiles. There is a net-room on the first floor of the dormitory.

The language skill tests are easy. For us (2007) it was 1. writing lots of pinyins with tones; 2. small conversation and reading of a short text with a teacher.

On basis of these and the time one has studied Chinese, they put the students in different level study groups (starting from A (A1 - total beginners, A2 - know just a bit, A3 - know just a little bit more, A4, B1, B2, B3...) and going this way till G - experts group).

After the tests they often give the students the opportunity to check out textbooks of different level groups and see which fit. Then you may choose for example between a middle-numbered D group and a high-numbered C group. But I and some other foreigners had the experience that they put you into higher-level groups than you had asked for anyway. I don't know what will happen to us this way...

The campus is OK. The title of a "garden university" though, which Beiwai holds, could in my opinion better fit the Central University for Nationalities which is next to Beiwai.

The diner is cheap and the food (in my opinion) is great.

Foreign students - a lot of Koreans, some Americans, different European nations, Japanese etc. Only one Indian (due to political relations of the two states probabaly). I am the first Estonian ever:)

To the heart of the city one can get with several buses from which to switch to metro. Altogether about 45min.

Hi Laurkiik,

Thanks for all the great information. I actually wanted to study there this semester also but decided way too late and they told me to register for next semester. Anyways, I plan on doing just that but was wondering if you know how much they charge for a non degree chinese language class per semester? Thanks :)

• 1 month later...

the newest Beiwai brochure says:

general students:

11150/semester

21150/year

short-term:

summer:

8weeks - 6100

4weeks - 3600

3weeks - 2900

winter: 4weeks - 3600

I wrote before:

"I and some other foreigners had the experience that they put you into higher-level groups than you had asked for anyway. I don't know what will happen to us this way..."

Nothing bad happened. Most of the teachers take things really slow and thoroughly. Although they put me (and lots of others) into higher groups than we requested, i am doing fine. I have three classes: Hanyu (3xweek), Yuedu (2x) and Kouyu (3x). Only Yuedu is a bit tough, students in my group agree, but other subjects are even a bit too easy.

One can take two elective subjects of four offered, according to one's group level. Actually, they say, you can take all four, if you want to (no extra fee). For example, 汉语视听说 hanyu shitingshuo - look at 5min movie, retell it on cassette, teacher corrects mistakes. This far, this class has usually run into time-devouring technical problems though. This kind of a test is supposed to be a new part in the HSK tests also.

I think the biggest advantages of Beiwai compared to other unis with high-level chinese programs is:

- it's small (about 2000 students?) and the campus is quiet.

- there are chinese youth learning so many foreign languages that it's probable that some of them are learning your native language, look here: http://www.csc.edu.cn/en/admin/readarticle.asp?articleid=417

- if you're interested in other nations, cultures and languages of China besides the hans, the Minzu Daxue is right next to Beiwai.

Byrocracy costs too much here. Also the dorm rooms. But look more at http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/8280-anyone-going-to-bfsu

I'm surprised that there aren't too many posts about Beiwai here, but I'll post some information to help you out. I studied there during this Summer and for the most part it was really good. The classes are taught exclusively in Mandarin. The teachers don't use any English because most people in my class are Korean. There were European guys in my class as well, but they seem to know their stuff. I was the only Chinese guy there that spoke fluent English.

Laurkiik, not all foreigners live at bailou. Foreign students also lived at Guojiao lou, which is also where I lived. The place was pretty nice and there were maids to clean and tidy up my room.

The food on campus was okay. I wouldn't say it was great, but you can't really complain for about 7-8 RMB for each dish. There are several dining halls on campus. I ate at the one near my dorm and often I go to the first floor because I like the food there better. The problem was that the first floor close for holiday in the middle of July. As a result, I had to eat upstairs or in the other dining halls. I got really tired of the food that I end up spending my last 6 weeks eatting outside of campus.

I really did liked Beiwai because it's small like what Laurkiik said. You can probably go outside and study once all of the construction work has been completed. I couldn't do that this year because there were a lot of construction going on in the campus. It was dusty and dirty for most of the summer. I've been told that in construction work is slated to be finished in 2008.

I do plan on going back next year, but right now I'm considering BLCU because of what has been posted on this forum.

Sgt_Strider: "not all foreigners live at bailou"

Aah, of course. there are at least 3 foreigner's dormitories. Guojiao lou looks exactly like one bloody expensive hotel. Bailou is also pretty clean and nice compared to some other foreigners' dormitories I've seen in Beiyu (BLCU) and Renda (Renmin Daxue).

People from the third dormitory have a problem with going out and arriving at night, because the dormitory closes at about 11.p.m. In Bailou I have arrived at ~4 o'clock lots of times. I also sneak in friends (even four tall estonian travellers with huge backbags; also some russian travellers lived in my room for a full week while i was away), incl chinese friends - the people in the entrance usually don't notice anything. That rules.

I only know of two dorms for foreigners; bai lou and guojiao lou. There are Korea people living at this dorm and there is a curfew. They don't have to be back by 11 PM or even midnight. If they miss it, then they can either knock on the door and hope someone will open the door for them or wait until 5 AM. I went out to a club with some Korean people and we just stayed out until 6 AM before coming home.

There is no curfew at Guojiao lou. It's a 24/7 service with at least one person at the counter and one security guard by the door. It wasn't that expensive to live at Guojiao lou. Originally I was forced to pick bai lou, but after I got there, a lady told me that I can move to guojiao lou. I've been to bai lou once and I thought it was okay. The part of bai lou where I was at had a lot of Russian people.

I'm just curious to know:

Is it possible to transfer into Beiwai from another university/college?

What if one has gotten a GED instead of a high school diploma?

How competitive is it to get into? A GPA requirement?

Do they accept people that are complete beginners at a language or must you have knowledge of the language beforehand?

How do you make money? Where do you find a job if you are not fluent in Chinese?

Are SATs accepted or even looked at by the school?

Thank You. I'll be checking back for responses. :P

i really don't know the answers to some of your questions. try writing to Beiwai: wsclxb@mail.bfsu.edu.cn.

chinese unis aren't very competitive for westerners because they are very much interested in getting more western students. beiwai is one of those unis that is extremely hard to get into for chinese, but kids-play for westerners.

of course you can start from the beginner's level in, i think, any chinese university's chinese language program. we have a lot of people here just starting to learn chinese.

make money? (you should ask this question in some other thread): if you're english is good you can be a private or elementary school teacher. if you have good looks you can do small parts in movies, commercials, also do modelling.

SAT-s probably aren't looked at. it might depend whether you're applying through the CSC scholarships or directly into Beiwai.

• 11 months later...

I'd make a final remark about Beiwai, now that I've studied there a year and am back home.

Studying Chinese there is good. BUT, in my opinion, biggest weaknesses of Beiwai are:

- It's sometimes called the 'rich kids uni' by students from other places. Because most students are kids from wealthy urban families; often also of government officials. So, in the Uni you mostly meet young people of the financial and political elite only.

- It's more of a top-notch language school than an university.

Because the students there mostly learn only foreign languages, also business and politics. Not foreign cultures, also no social or other sciences (unlike bigger, more diverse universities). Sadly, I met lots of kids who were learning all those different world languages not because they were personally interested, but because they had to because of some exam results.

So, not much of a spirit of Universitas. There are many nerdy girls and boys dreaming of making lots of money and so being 'successful'. But also a few 'quietly rebelling' and more 'interesting' people.

The things I found good about Beiwai -- those I listed above in this thread -- still count, though!:wink:

• 1 year later...

hi everybody,i was searching for information about bfsu and this forum was quite helpful!however i have some more questions about the accomodation in the campus.

what about kitchen?is there any kitchen in the dorm? i was studying in another university in beijing and after some time i needed some simple western food, so i would really appreciate if there were a kitchen available.

and do foreigners have the possibility to live alone in the room or is it mandatory to share?

and about the heating..is it good there? cause i was really frozen in my previous university..

by the way, does anybody know about peking university? i´m also considering this option

thanks to everybody!!

• 5 years later...
  • New Members

Hi!

I'll also be attending BFSU this September. I'm filling in the form for the accommodation and am conflicted between bailao(white building) or guojiao building. Can I have some suggestions/recommendations please?!! It would be most appreciated. :)

• New Members

Hey (Cindy?) I'm actually in the middle of sorting out my accommodation as well. I was looking at this map http://solbridge.bfsu.edu.cn/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/20111121134226_94_.gif and it seems that the GuoJiao dorms would be closer to the classrooms which I assume are in the School of Chinese Language building. Of course, I'm not 100% certain of this but in the end I chose to apply for the GuoJiao building because I wanted to get my application in as soon as possible. Anyway, best of luck.