Chinese-Forums

Yan can cook

Ian_Lee

Yan may probably be the most successful Chinese cooking show host in North America. His cooking show has been broadcasted on PBS on and off for years. And judged by the number of sponsors his show gets, his show must be very popular.

Moreover, I just checked his official website and found out that he has become multiple restaurant owners in California.

The amusing part of his show is that he is quite funny with his Chinglish. Moreover, the first 5-minute of the show is devoted to cover Chinese restaurants of other parts of the world.

So far it has covered NYC, San Francisco, LA, HK, Macau, Taipei, Singapore, KL, London, Toronto, Sydney,......etc but strangely the show was never shot in Mainland China.

But I don't like some parts of the show:

(1) Yan uses Telfon utsenil in the show but instead wok should be used to preserve the "wok qi". Understandably it must be the sponsor who asked him to use the Telfon stuff;

(2) Yan always put cooked meat on the cutting board which he just cut raw meat without washing it. I suspect that he worked at HK's Dai Pai Dong before he migrated to US;

(3) He always has his mom appeared in the show.

I like Jamie Oliver much better.

(btw, "wok qi" is a terrible translation, don't you think? Part cantonese (or whatever), part Putonghua. But then I don't really know what the proper term is.)

• 1 month later...