Chinese-Forums

BeiShiDa (BNU)

nomad

Hi Jamoldo

At the moment I speak pretty well and my listening is good; my main problem is writing (can use PC/mobile to type characters but never learnt handwriting). They said I have to get a level 3 before i can be accepted to the BA course - i hope the exam is towards the end of the spring semester! I know that HSK Basic & Elem/Intermed don't require you to write but i still need to put in more work on my reading!

What year are you in now? Did you take the HSK before you started? Do you know of a list of modules/classes that we have to sit in the first year? I have heard that there is a lot about literature - is that correct?

I spoke to the school and they said that classes are separated according to levels (determined by a test at the start of the semester)...

I'm not too worried - I can take the first year in BNU and, if I don't get a level 3, I'll just go to another uni that doesn't require HSK (there are some) or reconsider at that time...

Cheers for the heads up.

Cj

Clive, the HSK is offered numerous times a year, google it and I'm sure you'll find info. If writing is not your strong point then they will probably put you in a class lower than you should be because they LOVE making one write. So maybe try and get a tutor and brush up on writing ASAP.

I'm not a BA student at Beishida, just a language student. Wouldn't know about literature, I'm guessing maybe for BA students there might be some.

You might get a three now and if not you definitely will in a year so don't worry.

Classes: I've explained this before and I will do so again. Each level is attained from the previous level after 1 semester of study at Beishida (ie. if you start in 100, you'll be in 101 after a semester at BNU). This is by no means an exact science, but my observations...

100 - absolute beginner

101 - usually placed into after 1 sem - 1.5 yrs of non-intensive study outside of China.

102 - usually placed into after 1.5 yr - 3 yrs of non-intensive study outside of China

201 - see above, I hear its a lot like 102, with a few wrinkles.

202 - usually at least 2 years of non-intensive study outside of China more likely 3 or more.

As you can see, it gets most confusing from 102-202, although I hear 202 is challenging and quite a step up.

then there are 301, 302, 401, 402. 402 is usually what BA student's finish with.

All of that being said, I'll be in 102 this fall, unless I place out of it and into 201. I've studied for a year at Beishida.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to register for the free pick-up service at the airport? In my admission notice says I should register before August 20th but I just can't find the link on the website =(

@Jamoldo... remember me?? I'm Marta, from Spain, I was in Beishida from Sep 06 to Jan 07... Lupe's friend... you always laughed at us!! xD

We are coming back to Beishida for a year, we received a scholarship!

Their web page has always been crap. It still has items from 2005 under "news". They talked about providing free email addresses to everyone during their induction week and most of them never worked.

Anyway, the online pickup service is booked here

http://www.bnulxsh.com/pickup/epickuplogin.php

just keep trying that URL every day or so until it works ;)

Thanks, Adrian. Yes, you are right, the last update must have been ages ago xD And the free email addresses... well, they didn't work for me or any of the people I knew so... hahaha.

The link doesn't work right now =( But what if it never works? I want someone to wait for me at the airport!!!! xD

hey ursula/marta, i just posted in the other thread- anyone for bnu fall 2007. according to the international student's office at bnu, the english version of the pick-up service should be up and running by august 10. i think we visited the site too early. hahaha! eager beavers!