Chinese-Forums

BLI - Boomerang Language Institute, Beijing

Jamoldo

[Admin note: Boomerang Language Institute was formerly known as Beijing Language Institute. You may see both names below, but it's the same school.]

Is anyone doing it this summer/fall or next spring? I know it's run by a bunch of ex- IUP teachers, promises low student-teacher ratio, and the ability to specialize in Chinese (political, cultural, business etc.). I'm thinking of doing it in the spring or summer of 2008 which seems far away, but I've got to plan my budget accordingly.

I know it's been mentioned on this board a few times but only in a speculative sense.

If anyone is planning on doing it, please shoot me a pm.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

is the BLI you're referring to the same as BLCU?

according to the BLCU website it used to be called Beijing Language Institute.

if it's the same one, there's a bit of info in the sticky in this subforum. I'm also interested, as someone in another post suggested IUP has gone downhill and that BLI is better now.

Can anybody confirm or deny that BLI and BLCU are referring to the same institution?

I think it might have been called "Beijing Language Institute" when the threads were first posted, but it seems that they've changed their name. Maybe because of the confusion with 北京语言学院 (which was BLCU's original name before it became 北京语言大学).

• 3 months later...

Hi I am also interested in the summer intensive program (june 08). Has anyone seen the reviews about 07 program? I saw a thread in this forum but there was no review :(

Actually, if anyone has info about june 08 program (start dates, fees etc), i would be grateful if you guys post the info! I have asked the BLI about it but haven't gotten any replies yet.

tks.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently at Boomerang Language Institute and I have to say its one of the hardest things I've ever done. Four hours a day is killer, but its nice because although they charge by the hour, the teachers generally will keep you after or come chat with you in their free time.

Weilian,

Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to look it up if I return to Beijing in the future. How is the individual stuff? I hear that they can help you focus on certain topics? I'd try to focus on economics, business and maybe political stuff...

It first depends on your Chinese skills. They really are quite unyielding when it comes to employing he correct tones in class, which is really useful. 3+3 tone always gets me as does 一 + (1, 2, 3)

If your level is even passable, they'll customize lessons for you. For example, I've studied there for the last four months, during which time I've finished the first three books of NPRC and the first two books in the Boya Chinese series. I've got a job for the Olympics which requires me to work with taxi drivers around Beijing and so in July my teachers are preparing a few days of class solely devoted to those words, listening and speaking only since I won't be writing to the drivers.

Like I said before the teachers really great too, because I'll finish class but stick around and talk with them, practice up. They're invested in you learning Chinese, which I think doesn't always hold true with some other language programs.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a BLI Rep, Li Lihua the head teacher of BLI asked me to help find suitable students for the program.

My background: Ivy League US school, studied at BLI, have also studied at TLI (Taipei Language Institute), Di Qu Cun (Global Exchange / 'Korean school' in Wudokou), Frontiers, as well as some excellent private tutors. All of these programs have pluses and minuses (cost being a big one and quality of teachers, and structure of the educational programs being some others)

I am happy to discuss BLI or any other program with prospective students. You will get my straight opinion about these options, and the truth is BLI is not for everyone - I would mainly advise it for people who are willing to pay for top value in Chinese language education, and who are willing to devote a LARGE AMOUNT OF TIME AND ENERGY to their education.

Please shoot me private message or email with any Q's about the BLI (or other schools for that matter -- I do have experience and fully understand the limitations of budget etc) and I would be happy to share my background.

Your friendly BLI Rep :)

Please shoot me private message or email with any Q's about the BLI (or other schools for that matter -- I do have experience and fully understand the limitations of budget etc) and I would be happy to share my background.

Or better, post your question here for the benefit of future generations, and so you get a wider range of viewpoints :)

Hi, please note that prices are subject to change without notice, so please contact the school directly for updated pricing.

Summer Program (sorry, but this program is already midway through this term, so no longer available) 2 months (6/11-8/15)

Fall Intensive: 3 months (9/3-12/12). Cost: ¥38,400 if you schedule 2 months ahead, or mention that you were referred from chinese-forums, then the discounted cost is: ¥36,000

As mentioned in my post above, the teaching method used here, based on that used at IUP and originally developed at the Stanford Center in Taipei, Taiwan, is best leveraged if the student enrolls in a fulltime intensive program above, in which the student studies 4 hours per day and does homework for 1-2 hours per course hour (about 4-8 hours per day) but if this is not possible due to previous work engagements, or other time commitments, then BLI offers the following 'VIP' option in which course length and schedule is customized to each student's needs.

VIP (1 on 1) courses: All year. Cost: ¥200 per 50min period

VIP (1 on 1) courses - teacher visits student: base cost ¥230 per 50min period, please ask for details about this

Hi, classes are normally held weekdays 8AM-4PM. Typically, you will have a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon with break time in between to work on homework / lunch / talk with other students (IN CHINESE OF COURSE! :)

For the intensive programs, you generally set up your schedule at the beginning of the session, for VIP 1 on 1 classes you set up the schedule based on your needs.

Thanks,

BLI Rep (If you enroll at BLI please mention you read the BLI Rep posts on chinese-forums.com - you may be eligible for a tuition discount)

• 3 months later...

I studied for several months at Boomerang Language Institute as well. It's a small, cozy school, and a very good learning environment for serious Chinese students. Because the classes are almost all 1-on-1, you receive lots of attention, and the teachers are very well-trained and committed to their students. The school is quite demanding, but if you are serious about learning Chinese, I can't think of a better school for it, particularly spoken Chinese.