Chinese-Forums

Chinese characters on Safari for PC

zhwj

On my PC laptop, Safari on the PC only allows me to do text input using the English IME. I only can input punctuation with the Chinese IME. Anybody else have this experience? If I copy from another application and paste into Safari, that works fine.

No problems viewing Chinese, but Opera and Firefox are both orders of magnitude faster here than Safari on Windows.

Flameproof - no, it doesn't have the Expose feature on Windows. So pressing F11 (what I have it set to on my Mac) doesn't do anything. Technically, that is not a part of the Safari package - it is a feature of Mac OS X.

Opera and Firefox are both orders of magnitude faster here than Safari on Windows.

But Jobs said Safari would be faster than Firefox. :wink:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2191888/apple-opens-windows-browser

Touted as the “world’s fastest browser for Macs and PCs”, Apple claimed that when it comes to rendering pages Safari 3 is twice as fast as Internet Explorer 7 and 1.6 times faster than Mozilla’s Firefox 2, according to independent iBench tests. Safari has enjoyed being the fastest Mac browser for some time but Apple CEO Steve Jobs thinks it’s time to “dream big”.

Apple's tests were done on a dual-core 2.16GHz iMac. My laptop is an ancient single-core Pentium M running at 1GHz. That may account for the speed difference.

Maybe it is something else. Pages like www.xinhuanet.com load in 2-3 seconds max in Opera and Firefox on my laptop, but take at least a minute in Safari. I did try reinstalling, tried both the installer with Quicktime and the one without, resetting Safari, but still, Safari is really, really slow for some reason.

Can't see any reason to install Safari over Firefox on Windows XP.

As mentioned above, Chinese IME doesn't work.

And there's nothing "blazingly fast" about Safari: indeed, it seems to render image-heavy pages slower than Firefox.

Finally, I like my fonts sharp but Safari won't let you turn off font smoothing.

Don't waste your time installing it.

I think Safari is a great browser for Mac. It's considerably faster compared to Firefox, but it somewhat lacks some of its features. However you'll find the features in Safari quite innovative and very useful! The interface is simple and easy to use and everything just looks "nicer" in Safari than in Firefox (where everything looks horrible).

It used to be a lot more hassle surfing with Safari since webpages weren't optimized for it but that have improved a lot lately.

As for Safari 3 I think they released it a bit prematurely (it's a Beta), but in time the bugs will probably be fixed and it will run as beautiful on a PC as it does on Mac.

In conclusion, if you like the interface in iTunes then Safari is definitely worth a try!

But Jobs said Safari would be faster than Firefox.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/pers...indows-browser

Touted as the “world’s fastest browser for Macs and PCs”, Apple claimed that when it comes to rendering pages Safari 3 is twice as fast as Internet Explorer 7 and 1.6 times faster than Mozilla’s Firefox 2, according to independent iBench tests. Safari has enjoyed being the fastest Mac browser for some time but Apple CEO Steve Jobs thinks it’s time to “dream big”.

Apple's performance benchmarks are a joke, always. I don't hate Apple computers, but their benchmarking 'system' of providing big colorful graphs without actual data is pretty ridiculous. Safari is garbage on PC (new exploits are uncovered by the day, the font aliasing is annoying, and it lacks many features) and it's overshadowed by Firefox on OSX. I don't see a good reason to use Safari on either platform.