Chinese-Forums

ZDT: Can't make the launcher work properly - Ubuntu

Dod_basim

hey!

i want to launch ZDT from my desktop, when i make a launcher to ./zdt i get an error while processing ZDT (see attachment #1). After ZDT is on i get this screen (attachment #2) and i can't use my flashcards.

when i click on zdt or run it on terminal every thing works fine.

what is wrong?

yoav

1172_thumb.attach

1173_thumb.attach

when you run the program from terminal do you add sudo?

have you checked your priviledges so your user name can modify content?

hope this helps.

*edit*

do your settings in:

window-->preferences-->database

point to the script file?

i found that i have to redirect it after i created an icon and then the information was saved to a log file.

• 4 months later...

Any idea of how to fix this problem in Gnome? (I've had no replies to a post about this on Ubuntu Forums yet.) The launchers and applications-menu items don't have the option to modify the "work path." Is anyone aware of another way to modify the work path as the OP did in KDE?

Oops, I should have said "Applications menu item" rather than launcher. Anyway, I tried both the menu items and creating a new launcher with no luck. In fact, in both cases, ZDT will start up. The problem is that, once it starts up, I get the following error:

Unable to access your user database file. Please check the location at user.script and check to see if the file is missing or corrupted. You will be unable to access your categories or use your flashcards until you fix the problem.

user.script definitely exists and isn't corrupted, so I'm guessing that ZDT just can't reference it when the app is started from somewhere other than its directory.

This is the same problem that Dod_basim (the OP) had, but he was able to solve it by changing the work path in his launcher. Apparently, a difference between KDE and Gnome is that Gnome doesn't (easily?) allow you to change the work path of launchers or applications menu items...

EDIT: I should note that I've seen similar behavior on Windows as well. When I install ZDT and then log in as a different user, it also cannot reference the user.script file and the same problem ensues.

For your existing install, can you just try going to Preferences > Database and manually selecting the location for the user.script file.

Also, as a test, could you try installing again (extract to a diff location) and follow the steps I mentioned above and see if that works?

The Windows issue is kind of different. If you're trying to share the same user database with two different users, you'll just have to copy the user.script and user.properties files to a common location and point to it using the Preferences.

Chris