Chinese-Forums

Housing around BLCU

pijiu

From what I've been told the dorms in BLCU aren't that great, liveable but not that nice. And I've also heard that there is a curfew of 11 or 12 in the evening. To avoid this I'd prefer to live off campus either in a hotel (if this is possible) or an apartment. I don't know how true this is but someone informed me that it is possible to stay 6 weeks in a hotel for around the same price as living on campus or sharing an apartment with people. If this is true would anyone be able to support this claim and provide a list of hotels I should check out. If this isn't the case then how would I go about finding an apartment to rent.

p.s. Even after completing a year of Chinese I really feel I am inadequate at having a conversation (mainly the reason I'm attending BLCU, to improve) and I know I can't hold a solid conversation with receptionists or landlords. Would anyone be able to provide useful phrases that I should say or listen out for and specific questions I should ask.

Thanks In Advance.

I don't know how true this is but someone informed me that it is possible to stay 6 weeks in a hotel for around the same price as living on campus or sharing an apartment with people. If this is true would anyone be able to support this claim and provide a list of hotels I should check out.

I think the cheapest you'll be able to find a hotel here in the city is around 200 RMB/night, and I'm sure it won't be in the area that you're looking at. Also, are you sure you want to live long-term in a hotel room, without a kitchen, etc.?

I think youre best bet is to share an apartment...

pijiu - I'm in the same situation and have decided to stay at a hotel when I land until I can find someone to help me look for an appartment.

Apparently Xijao hotel is only a 5 minute walk from BLCU but I'm not sure of the prices or how to make a reservation yet. website: http://www.xijiao-hotel.com.cn/english/bgjj/index.htm

Also, from what I've read on this forum and seen in classified ads, it looks as tho a 1 or 2 bedroom appartment in the Wudaokou area goes for somewhere between 2500-3500 RMB a month.

Check out the classified section of this site http://www.chinese-forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 and also http://www.thatsbj.com/index.php? for an idea of whats out there, but from the sound of things you will have to wait until you get there to sort it out!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

your best bet is to come, stay in a hostel or hotel in the area for a few days while you look at places, you can find ads for apts or rooms or people looking for flatmates in the cafes in wudaokou. just look for foreigners or follow the sounds of english! lol (lush, or SIT are good bets)

you will pay anywhere from 1500 - 2500 for a room in a shared apt depending on how close to the wudaokou area and how nice. remember rents here are negotiable just like everything else. i don't know anyone paying less than 3000rmb for a 1bdrm apt. but considering you pay 3300rmb to live in building 17 of the dorms (the newest and nicest building) and you pay 2700rmb to live in building 6 (nice enough but rooms are smaller and slightly less new) AND, for building 6 you DO have a curfew for vistors. they have to be out by 10pm if they don't actually live there (they will actually knock on your door and make your visitor leave), and even to go into the building if you don't live there you have to show a student id card, if you're not a student you have to register, which of course is in a completely different building. silly chinese. this website is popular and in english. www.thatsbj.com

a good hostel to stay at would be the PekingUni International Hostel http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/PekingUniInternationalYouthHostelUtels-Beijing-18047 it's just about 2 blocks from school and on the same road. i've seen the room and they're very clean. you can have private room w/ bath for 13usd a night.

• 3 weeks later...