Chinese-Forums

The Dirtiest Dialect

Ian_Lee

Which is the dirtiest dialect?

I know Cantonese and some Chaozhouese and a lit bit Shanghaiese. I think Cantonese is the dirtiest while Chaozhouese and Shanghaiese are comparatively mild in the vocabulary of their foul languages.

In Shanghaiese, the most severe scolding of naughty kid is nothing more than “Little Devil”.

But in Cantonese, the vocabulary in the foul language is so ample that one can utter 18 words on a row which meanings are all related to the sex organs of male/female.

I recalled some old folks told me that during the Battle of Shanghai in 1932, the Cantonese 19th Route Army was the backbone of the defensive force. Before the soldiers charged towards the Japanese, they would first shout “Till-La-Ma” and everyone got excited into action!

I grew up swearing in hakkanese...

when we were teenage, "Diao Nya me" equivalent to "F*** your mother" is like a daily hi to your buddies....

"Diao Jang Ho" equivalent to "Better get F***ed" is also a daily utterance...

I hardly speak hakkanese these day, except for long distance call to my

folks back home.

ax

Of all the various dialects I've been exposed to, I think Mandarin is the only one I've never heard people swear in. At least not to the extend that the air is actually filled with coloured fumes. I'm willing to learn if anyone care to illustrate :-).

Of all the various dialects I've been exposed to, I think Mandarin is the only one I've never heard people swear in. At least not to the extend that the air is actually filled with coloured fumes. I'm willing to learn if anyone care to illustrate :-).

In Malaysia, I think people don't use Mandarin to swear because we have our local dialect to do so. However, if you went to Beijing and observed how some of the youngsters there talk, you will start to notice that mandarin could hold its ground in colourful fumed words me thinks.

Though, for one of the top places for multi-chinese-dialect-swearing, come to malaysia :)

I find Kunminghua to be incredibly dirty sometimes. Even the everyday spoken language just sounds more vulgar. For example, people call each other "dog" as a regular term of address (sort of like in the American south I guess, "whazzup my dawg?"). I also find when I speak Kunminghua with my friends they're a lot more emotional and expressive than when we speak Mandarin. They tell me they find Mandarin a little bit dry compared to our colorful local dialect.

The most famous and common Shanghainese vulgar term spoken by men and women: 赤那 (册那). It flows like the English and is equally flexible.

Could you post the pinyin or pronounciations for that phrase?

Not really familiar with vulgarities (except for like 4 in mandarin).

My parent usually say profanities in mandarin rather than shanghai hua.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How would you come to that conclusion? You're exposed to maybe a handful of tongues out of thousands, and seemingly none of you have any clue regarding central China dialects.

Just to throw my two cents out there -- I think Xiangyu sounds dirty at times even if you don't have a clue what they said. I can string together multi-dozen swears in Hubeihua easily too. It's not difficult.