Chinese-Forums

Internet Blocks, the Great Firewall and VPNs

roddy

How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?

• I just give up and read the China Daily
    • Free web proxy like Anonymouse
    • Paid web proxy like Proxify
    • A browser plug in like Gladder
    • I installed a bit of software, like Tor
    • Something else which I will detail below . . .
    • Port forwarding over SSH to a remote proxy, like Imron
    • VPN, like Witopia

I heard that alot of VPN and proxy dont work anymore. And if there is a VPN/proxy that works, how long will it take before the chinese goverment will find out?

Are there any confirmed ways to get to fb and youtube in the last 2 monts? (apart from paid freegate and witopia)

Are there any confirmed ways to get to fb and youtube in the last 2 monts? (apart from paid freegate and witopia)

Fb and Youtube are available via the free Freegate. There is no paid Freegate.

• 3 weeks later...

In follow-up to my problems with Witopia when having to use Ruijie Supplicant:

Interestingly, Witopia support thought pptp is usually blocked (or just answered like that)...

What it turned out to be is this: I had turned on internet connection sharing for my LAN (which, when Ruijie is active, provides the internet connection) and Witopia's PPTP-VPN, for some reason, then connected but didn't do anything more.

Now, sharing turned off, the PPTP-VPN works with Ruijie Supplicant again, and in fact increases the bandwidth that I can use (as in: download speeds, I mean) tremendously.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm looking to sign up for Witopia, but I'm reading a lot of recent reviews that suggest that for some reason it has suddenly stopped working properly - any updates before I hit the link in this thread to sign up?

It's mixed. Sometimes it won't connect, sometimes when it does connect it's slow and sometimes it's fine. I've not yet noticed any particular servers being better than others, although if anyone has I'd love to hear about it.

Tor is working fine, but you have to get the new server addresses, or "bridges" as they call them. These change every time they are blocked.

In the Tor control panel, go to 'network' then click on "How do I find a bridge?"