Chinese-Forums

Internet Blocks, the Great Firewall and VPNs

roddy

How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?

• I just give up and read the China Daily
    • Free web proxy like Anonymouse
    • Paid web proxy like Proxify
    • A browser plug in like Gladder
    • I installed a bit of software, like Tor
    • Something else which I will detail below . . .
    • Port forwarding over SSH to a remote proxy, like Imron
    • VPN, like Witopia

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread because it's over a year old, and I will be heading to China in a couple days and would like current information. It looks like from the recent (relatively speaking) posts that many of these solutions were having problems.

What methods do you use now, in 2010, to block the Firewall?

I'm still using Witopia and for $60 a year am very happy with it. I've had a couple of glitches, but if you follow their instructions - ie, specifying DNS servers, and so on - and maybe try different servers if it's being slow - then it's a bargain.

If you're looking for something free, look for paid VPNs with a free trial - there's a fair chance it'll convince you it's worth the spend, and if it doesn't you've at least put off the search for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, on Roddy's advice I've subscribed to Witopia and am very happy with it. I followed the instructions carefully and have had no problems. For the non-technical they could be a little intimidating, but the instructions they give are excellent and easy to follow step-by-step.

Holly, Witopia doesn't offer a free trial per se, but they do offer an unconditional no-questions-asked 30-day refund period. You may want to give them a try.

I'm currently using prXPN. Google searches are not blocked by the Great Firewall, so you can download if you are here in China.

Frgate works but be sure to use FrgateU10 version 1.0.0.0, because I've found the other versions (inc. Professional edition) tend to be blocked by the Great Firewall.

Cheers!

Here's the official site in Chinese. Note the Chinese word for "free gate" is a censored word and will often cause all your internet communication to be blocked temporarily (for maybe 10 minutes) if you search for it in China.

/www.dong tai wang.com/loc/phome.php?v=0

Free gate

The download links are in the upper right hand corner of the page. You can choose between 专业版 and 专家版. Just download both. Free gate is geared towards China, so they don't try to make it easy to download for those who don't read Chinese, as those who use it outside China (e.g. Iran) would take up bandwidth that's needed in China.

Thanks for the help, guys. Liuzhou, I downloaded it from the link you gave me. This is interesting...I'm very new to virtual private networks. So basically, you have to double click the dove (LOL), and then enter the link into Dynweb whenever I want to visit a site that's blocked in China. Is it just that simple? :P And then I can exit out of it when I'm done visiting blocked sites?

What would happen if, say, Frgate all of the sudden stopped working while I'm in China. Wouldn't it be difficult to search for and download another free VPN there?