Chinese-Forums

Internet Blocks, the Great Firewall and VPNs

roddy

How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?

• I just give up and read the China Daily
    • Free web proxy like Anonymouse
    • Paid web proxy like Proxify
    • A browser plug in like Gladder
    • I installed a bit of software, like Tor
    • Something else which I will detail below . . .
    • Port forwarding over SSH to a remote proxy, like Imron
    • VPN, like Witopia

I can confirm that China is currently much more hardcore in their blocking of the internet than this time two years ago. Even my VPN, which worked at the time, isn't working in China at the moment, which is extremely frustrating as at least here in Shanghai google seems to be blocked entirely, including google maps.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I noticed that a little while ago. I guess it must be blocked or semi-blocked. Other Wikipedias seem to have no problem.

Ugh, that sucks. Especially as Baidupedia is so messy, often poorly researched, and half the time steals content from Wikipedia anyway (don't get me wrong, I still use it, but I'd generally go to the Wikipedia article first if there is one).

...I mean, I have a VPN, but that's always just one extra layer of 麻煩.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh, I'm basically without a reliable VPN at the moment. A year or so ago I'd be frantically searching for a new one but now I'm a bit 'meh' about it. Think I've been here for a while, so sort of used to internet problems and not fussed about it anymore.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Might anyone be able to recommend a VPN to potentially use in China? The most essential sites I use are wikipedia and google, so it would be of great help if I had something that could easily access these. Occasionally I will go on Facebook and I use Gmail frequently. I use a Mac and an iPhone. I am a bit overwhelmed by the selections and since some of them appear to work inconsistently and different ones appear better at different times, might anyone be able to provide an updated recommendation as of February 2016?

Thank you!

None of them are reliable in Beijing. There's always somebody who will say "oh my VPN is great" then the next week they'll also complain how it doesn't work anymore.

Some of the most frequently suggested ones are StrongVPN, Astrill, ExpressVPN...

If you're outside of Beijing I think they tend to work better.

I'm convinced all the popular VPN services are generally the same in terms of reliability (some are a bit more proactive with workarounds when their services are blocked).  They all use the same protocols and connect to very similar server locations, so it's hard to recommend a service over another when talking about connection success rate.  I would look at bandwidth, amount of servers, cost, software and how VPN companies treat your privacy - i find VyprVPN ranks fairly high when taking all of those points into account, but i switch to ExpressVPN and NordVPN from time to time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...