Chinese-Forums

Internet Blocks, the Great Firewall and VPNs

roddy

How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?

• I just give up and read the China Daily
    • Free web proxy like Anonymouse
    • Paid web proxy like Proxify
    • A browser plug in like Gladder
    • I installed a bit of software, like Tor
    • Something else which I will detail below . . .
    • Port forwarding over SSH to a remote proxy, like Imron
    • VPN, like Witopia

How would you define the topic? 

"How are you getting around Internet blocks in China"?

I voted that I am not, I am no longer using a VPN and can't wait to see what the future holds for me in China. 

It is an interesting topic.

I would be happy to see discussion on the Investigatory Powers Act. Can't believe people don't care about it. Yet, that would be off topic and I would stick to my decision not to use a VPN while living in China. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/19/extreme-surveillance-becomes-uk-law-with-barely-a-whimper

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/29/snoopers-charter-bill-becomes-law-extending-uk-state-surveillance

Not using a VPN = on topic

Nerdy Korean athletes = off topic

1 hour ago, Angelina said:

Investigatory Powers Act. Can't believe people don't care about it. Yet, that would be off topic

There are plenty of other places online to discuss that, and lack of discussion here doesn't mean people don't care about it, it just means that people realise this site is called Chinese-forums, and not uk-forums. 

• Like 3

There are people who are seriously considering leaving China if it is no longer possible to use a VPN. 

I would choose nerdy North Korean athletes over Facebook anytime. 

Try this poll:  

1. Are you living in China?

2. Are you using a VPN?

3. Would you consider leaving China if it is no longer possible to use a VPN?

4. Have you ever heard about the Investigatory Powers Act? 

If anyone answers yes to question #3 and no to question #4, I urge them to think again. 

Surveillance and hosting, this is one small part of the problem.

The 14 eyes, they not only watch, they kill too. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/dispatches/2005/09/you_cant_handle_the_truth.html

So how to survive the 14 guns? China is ok, not perfect, but still ok. 

That didn't really answer my question though.. I fail to see why you would feel like a hypocrite using a VPN in China, even from your point of view regarding the ominous surveillance situation in the West. (It is precicely because of this situation that many in the West are also using VPNs hosted outside the "14 eyes" (as well as proxies). Unless you mistakenly conflate VPN usage with a pro US/UK stance in the larger international cyberwar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, imron said:

I miss the downvote button.

Month-long ban, as the previous week-long ones don't appear to have stuck. I must have some soft spot for Angelina, she's been banned, but then let back in, more than any other member ever. Patience wears thin though. 

Batlhazar, Angelina talks shite. Or is oppressed. You decide. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Balthazar said:

(It is precicely because of this situation that many in the West are also using VPNs hosted outside the "14 eyes" (as well as proxies).

I was ignorant. Didn't know about the "14 eyes." Looked it up. In case anyone else out there doesn't know, here's a list of them.

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/vpn-provider-14-eyes-country-something-know/

Note: I have no relationship to the company which wrote that piece, and don't know if they are any good or not.

Okay, I was wondering whether I should buy a compatible router when going home in August (I usually return only once or twice a year) and set up the SSH tunneling, since somebody wrote here earlier, that this method is virtually untraceable... is that so? Or will this also be futile? 

Also, our company has everything on G Suite, so we will probably have to get our own corporate VPN and register it with the authorities... I can already see that the HQ won't like this :(

7 hours ago, Sarevok said:

Okay, I was wondering whether I should buy a compatible router when going home in August (I usually return only once or twice a year) and set up the SSH tunneling, since somebody wrote here earlier, that this method is virtually untraceable... is that so? Or will this also be futile? 

Not untraceable, but vulnerable to the same kind of analysis.

That said, it is probably less likely to be hit by a blanket ban at this time. The vast majority of people using SSH are sysadmins doing system administration, and these are the sort of people who would get angry and mischievous if you take their tools away from them.

As it becomes popular (people moving away from VPNs) it is more likely to get analysed and blocked as well.

Anyone got any good links to setting something up myself? Like to my UK router and a like.

I've not attempted something like this before but... I'd give it a shot. All for learnin'

Setting up a VPN on your UK router is dependent on the router, but it's fairly easy to navigate through their setup menus and create the passwords and encryption keys. It's easy to setup the VPN client on Android or an iPhone. There's lots of how to guides for Windows and Linux. The only thing that's difficult is DDNS as China blocks some of them. Even then you could write down your IP address before you leave the UK, and hope that your router doesn't lose power for more than a week and it changes. 

SSH tunnelling requires you to leave a Linux PC running 24/7 at home, so would be more complicated. 

Never used ExpressVPN so I don't know what bandwidth and latency they have. An ssh tunnel will depend on the ISP in Europe where the Linux machine is running. If you pay for a hosted server you'll get better than a commercial VPN, but if you run the system at home then it depends. (Remember for bandwidth that Europe upload limit is your download limit in China). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: 

Apple removing certain apps, including the removal of VPN apps in China, has more to do with their (of the apps) quality than Cold War fantasies.

In June, tens of thousands of apps were removed from the Chinese app store as part of a worldwide purge of low-quality offerings. Although many Chinese consumers reacted negatively to the move, developers welcomed it. “What Apple did then affected us small businesses positively,” Cui Yinjie, a manager at Suzhou-based game developer Leji, told Sixth Tone. “If all the illicit developers are forced out, then the rest of us can have a better environment in which to grow.”

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1000661/chinese-app-developers-accuse-apple-of-monopolistic-behavior

Also, yes, I am not planning to leave China just because certain VPN apps of dubious quality are no longer available.

1 hour ago, Angelina said:

Also, yes, I am not planning to leave China just because certain VPN apps of dubious quality are no longer available.

It won't be just the apps of dubious quality that will no longer be available though. I don't think anyone who has full access to uncensored commentary is in any doubt that the outlawing of VPNs in China is largely about information control, not quality control.