Chinese-Forums

Internet Blocks, the Great Firewall and VPNs

roddy

How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?

• I just give up and read the China Daily
    • Free web proxy like Anonymouse
    • Paid web proxy like Proxify
    • A browser plug in like Gladder
    • I installed a bit of software, like Tor
    • Something else which I will detail below . . .
    • Port forwarding over SSH to a remote proxy, like Imron
    • VPN, like Witopia

When I right-click, I don't get the option to connect at my work computer. What I did was copy the setup program from home and installed it onto my work computer.

Edit: It seems that I have to install Witopia on my work computer in a different way. I followed the directions here and everything is fine now.

2055_thumb.attach

Edited by ABCinChina

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else unable to connect to witopia? Seems like it might be a domain / DNS issue - their website seems to be down as well, and the connection is failing at connecting to vpn.witopia.net. First time it hasn't worked.

Edit: Back again, ignore me.

It seems that Witopia sometimes doesn't work sporadically. Yesterday I had the same problem mentioned above, and now I'm having the same problem again.

It seems to log-in ok, but when I start browsing websites, it doesn't work. Maybe China is finding a way to block Witopia since they've blocked the free xB browser for quite some time now.

Edited by ABCinChina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone, I am looking for a youtube workaround. My friends and family really want to see what I'm up to. I have been doing my homework on proxy setups and websites that do just this, a workaround for youtube.

I thought I should ask...What do you use to workaround youtube or the firewall of China for that matter? I know some of the ways are reslly slow and some just cost too much.

In advance Thank you everyone.

I have seen some threads about this, but who knows there might be some new info on this subject. :help

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you further up the topic asking if Witopia has different servers so you can have a US / UK IP address if you want one. It didn't, but it does now. See here for instructions on changing the gateway.

I tried using the UK one to use the BBC iPlayer service. Technically it worked, but was too slow to really call usable.

I tried that one but it seemed a bit flakey.

Then I switched to another one (starts with the same first four letters and then plus the first three letters of a particular fruit which has an acquired taste) which seemed much more stable. Also a decent firefox plugin but also works with other browsers. Very fast. However, recently I've noticed that this sometimes doesnt work either. But how can it possibly not work when everything's encrypted...?

In the case of Onion routing, there's probably a game of cat and mouse - as one gets blocked, others come on line. With the likes of Witopia, they're probably, currently, below the radar - I'd guess the number of users in China is in the low thousands, if that; mainly foreign; and mainly visiting Youtube and Facebook.

I'm wondering if witopia is now on there radar. I have been having issues connecting for the last couple weeks. Well not issues connecting but rather, the speed being 10x slower than normal and sometimes stops working in the middle of being connected.

Now i will say there is a variable in here as I started using it on my windows partition as well and that one seems to be faster than my mac one so I'm not sure what's going on for sure. Messed with the DNS, used all different gateways, etc. including the new 256 bit encryption.

It's possible. I'm not an expert but it feels to me more like it's been hacked than anything else. Based on what it feels like when sites are blocked without the VPN. No expert just 推测.