Chinese-Forums

Anyone for BNU Fall 2007?

xus-swede

huaqiao06: Because I am ferociously tired of the Wudaokou area and in my opinion the worthless structure surrouding the teaching at BLCU. In my class we were, usually (far from everyone came to class) around 12 to 15 and out of these 12 to 15 ppl 3 of us had a good grasp of what was going on. We did our homework and came to class. The rest... well.. didn't bother or didnt put enough effort into the program. Furthermore, BLCU is a campus loaded with foreigners and I really feel like swichting environment for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally I was supposed to study at Beida for the fall semester, but since I just received the news that I have been accepted by the CSC for a one year scholarship at BNU, I'm definitely headed there.

xus-swede: are you a fellow Swedish or is that just a name?

Jamoldo: I havn't really had time to do any research on BNU yet. What is it like? Apparently it couldn't be too bad since you're staying for another semester. I'm in Beijing now so I will go and have a look at the campus some day.

I'm going to be at BNU for the Fall 07 and Spring 08 semester as a Language Student. Anyone else out there with the same agenda (or at least half of it)?

Also, what have you heard about BNU? Lots of English speakers? good classes? clean dorms? convenient facilities? I heard that there are a lot of Japanese and Koreans, but very few Americans and British students.

I was really close to enrolling at BeiDa, but I just found out that they don't offer housing to language students

Click on "search" in the menu bar thing above, and type in "BNU".

Many people here went to BNU and there's a current thread about people starting this Sept and one guy (good friend of mine, we studied there together last year) who's staying on at BNU so knows the place inside out.

Hi there

I'm also going to be at BNU in September - don't really know much about the uni to be honest but I have heard that it's good.

I know that there are loads of Japanese and Korean students....in fact when I saw my name on the admissions list online there were only 2 European students out of about 200 international students - myself and another (I assume) Polish guy! That was a few weeks ago though - it may have changed now...

I'm going to go for a look around the uni next weekend and will let you know what I see. I'll be looking for a flat with a mate of mine - budget is tight so I'm looking for something around 2000RMB/month (2 bedrooms).

Where are you from? UK here but I have been working in China since last December.

Maybe see you at BNU!

Take care

Clive :lol:

two europeans...oh snap.

I'm Chinese but I was born and raised in New York City. How are you liking Beijing? Where can I have a look at the list of accepted students? Would you happen to know when the Fall 07 and Spring 08 starts and ends? and are there any breaks?

What do you do in China? and where in the UK are you from?

Hey, I'm the guy Adrian was talking about. I will assure all of you that there will be more than 2 European students at BNU and more than just a few English speakers, though it will be nothing like BLCU. There are some Americans like me, and pletny of brits (since SOAS does a full year program there, but they're pretty cliquey and don't explore socially too much).

I read something about two bedrooms for 2000 rmb total. If you find something half decent, let me know, because it probably won't be upto your standards. I think it's safe to say if you want to be near Beishida you'll prob spend at least 3000-3500 total for a two bedroom (split 2 waysm of course, so 1750ish)...

I like Beijing quite a bit, though I'm currently in Dalian for the next month. Breaks, we get a week off in October, a week off in May and of course Chinese New Year.

Do a search for BNU and you should find plenty of info. Cheers!

how did you pay your tuition and housing? Did you open up a Chinese bank account?

Cash, and no. I'm from the UK and we have a bank here (Nationwide) which allows you to draw cash out anywhere in the world with no transaction fees at all. Nothing loaded/hidden in the exchange rate either. So, I simply drew cash out. I'd draw out 3000RMB per day until I had enough cash to pay for the tutition or student accommodation.

Many of my friends opened bank accounts, and that worked fine except that my cash card worked in more machines than theirs ;)

You're welcome.

You'll need to pay for your tuition feees quite soon after you arrive at a guess, although you can stall paying your accommodation (if you're staying in halls) by paying 500 RMB a day or something until you're clear. So, you'll probably need to start hitting cashpoints as soon as you land. The airport has one!

Scourge, I did cash advances. Once a semester since I figured with my credit card's transaction fees being less than ATM withdrawal fees, and the fact that I would get it done in one shot. Lots of banks are annoying with cash advances, if they see that you didn't dot an "i" on your credit card signature, but then dot it on a reciept they'll scream "fake" (well not literally), but they'll give you a bit of a hassle and just not do the transaction in the end. Since something similar happened to me, I simply waited until the last possible day to pay my bill (ie. Check in day), went to the nice HSBC in Guomao (which is in Central Business District) or CBD, which is where most of the foreigners live and work. An all English speaking staff took care of the matter for me in a matter of minutes without fuss... It's probably what I'll do again in September.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask Adrian or myself and feel free to ask when the year begins, as I'll be on campus. Cheers.

Hint: I'm a youngish American dude of east Indian heritage. So I stand out.

Thanks Jamoldo. You and Adrian have been a big help. I hope to meet both of you this September.

Hint: I'm a youngish American dude with Chinese heritage, so I'd imagine I'll be pretty hard to spot, unless I start speaking with my Jersey accent.

I hope you guys don't mind a few more questions, but how do cell phones work there? Do I just buy a phone and a SIM card? And have either of you stayed in the Lanhui dorm? Also, I'm staying for an academic year, but would I have the same room both semesters and would I be able to leave my stuff there if I go home for Lunar?

Grazie Mille,

SOG

but how do cell phones work there? Do I just buy a phone and a SIM card?

*cough* SEARCH *cough*

you might need to try a few combinations (cell phone, cellphone, mobile phone, lanhui, lan hui) and maybe restrict your search to topic titles, but much of what you want to know is already out there and you can find it. Even if you can't find something you are looking for, new topics are free :wink: