Chinese-Forums

What is "price break" in Chinese?

GavUK

You might also consider 打折 dǎzhé which is a generic word for discount, and is the same in both simplified and traditional. One thing to be careful of, is that instead of saying 10% off (as in common in English), Chinese would say something like 打9折 i.e. 9/10ths of the original price.

By price break are you refering to the sliding scale that occurs in wholesale markets? i.e. I buy 300 and it is 1.2 per unit and when I buy 500 it goes down to 1.0 per unit and so on and so fourth?

Or are you taking about a simple break where if you buy under a thousand price is 1.2 and if I buy over a thousand you break and it is 1.0 per unit?

Along with Imron's suggestion, I think the most common word for what you want is 打折 and the following are some typical examples of its use:

能打折吗?/ 可以打折吗?

Do you give discounts/ Can I have a discount ?

我们不打折/ 我可以给你打折。

We don't / We do give discounts.

如果买五十台,可以打折吗?

If I buy 50 units, will you give me a discount ?

价格间断. Although as one poor user on a random internet forum says

我刚才用金山词霸查了一下,price break 是“价格间断”的意思,但什么是价格间断呢

There are also references to 分段价 and 梯度价。

I think 批发价 is right and then just negotiate the price down based on how many you want to buy. There is the all famous 便宜点 phrase and that would probably be the 口语 way of going about it. There probably is some really 书面 stuff used in contracts and that you would probably have to ask a Business guy about.

I'm going to hold out for the one I turned up (which if you actually read the post, is a 金山词霸ism, btw, not a roddyism)

The OP's looking for a word to describe the quantity of product at which the price changes, not the price itself. You could have more than one of these - ie, a price break when a customer buys 500, 1000, 2000 units. There aren't many references out there to 价格间断, and those I can see are in translations - 1, 2, so it's quite possibly a case where Chinese would express the idea differently and not refer to that point of price change directly. However, I can't see any better term to refer to that actual point where the price changes. All the XX价 words are referring to the price itself, not the quantity at which the price changes.

This is quite possibly more info than the OP needs though. You could quite easily work around it and avoid the term altogether.

Glad I don't need to deal with this nonsense on a daily basis :twisted:

Hmm, I'll take the eagerness to jump on that one comment as indication you agree with the rest of the post. Vocabulary, folks, vocabulary - specifically the kind that hardly anyone really knows or uses, but exists in obscure contexts and the bottom of dictionaries.

http://cafe.365ren.com/_c/ap03032/topic/manage_topic.do?actMethod=topicList&topicId=525549

Here are some terms that may be helpful.

In anycase, I think it really depends who you are talking to about this discount, if you are talking to a factory, etc...

On a smaller scaler, if you are talking to someone at a whole sale market you can always ask them for 拿货价格....and they may just tell you what the minimum purchase is..