Chinese-Forums

Does anybody know how to say 圓融...?

insight

I don't think it is a religious term. Since I often hear people say this person is very 圓融

I think it is something like a sophisticated person... But this does not provide a clear view of the original language.

Does anybody else have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance :)

Besides "flexible" and "accomodating", add "ripeness" (thoroughly matured, as by study or experience) maybe?

I have the impression that it should be a buddhist term originally. In history many buddhist terms gradually became part of Chinese, such as 领悟, 入魔, 客观, 主观, 世界, 红尘 etc. In fact, many 成语 also rooted in Buddhist terms, such as 一丝不挂, 惟我独尊, 皆大欢喜, etc. After entering daily language, most of their meaning altered more or less.

well, many Chinese idioms originate from religion (Buddist, Dao)bibles, such as

苦海无边 回头是岸

放下屠刀 立地成佛

but long time after the intruduction of the idioms from bibles, people used to forget its' religion origion

As far as 圆融 is concerned, a very famous Chinese dictionary 《辞源》 explains it as:

圆融,佛教语。破除偏执,圆满融通。 (佛教语 means buddist term)

Another Buddist dictionary 《佛光大词典》 explains it as:

圆融,谓圆满融通,无所障碍。即各事各物皆能保持其原有立场,圆满无缺,而又为完整一体,且能交互融摄,毫无矛盾、冲突。相互隔离,各自成一单元者称‘隔历’;圆融即与隔历互为一种绝对而又相对之对立关系。

In China mainland, people rarely use "圆融" in spoken Chinese, they would like to say "圆滑" or "圆通"

The word you want for this is "mellow", and I think it's a good word for 圓融. "Easy-going", "accommodating", etc. are others

I do not fully agree with your interpretation of the term 圓融. Because a person that is 圓融.does not mean he is an easy going person, he might look easy going or accomodating .... How about diplomatic does this word sound closer to the meaning?

:mrgreen:

How about diplomatic does this word sound closer to the meaning?

I'm gonna cast my vote on this well selected word (at least until something better comes along...if it does :mrgreen: )

Once again...translation is an art, not a science.

How about diplomatic does this word sound closer to the meaning?
"Diplomatic" may be a bit too contemporary, knowing that 圓融 has its root in religous contexts. A 圓融 person is someone who understands life (perhaps through Buddhism?) and has therefore become more accommodating in attitude.

"Diplomatic" may be a bit too contemporary, knowing that 圓融 has its root in religous contexts. A 圓融 person is someone who understands life (perhaps through Buddhism?) and has therefore become more accommodating. This word is about his attitude, not his looks.

I don't think this matters whether it is contemporary or not so long as it fully describes the meaning and usage in it's translated word. Roots in religion are of no consequence unless it's meaning is still religious. It just allows us to understand it's history.

Yap. Your comment is also correct. From the religious sphere, a 圓融 person is a person that provides understanding, aid and I think apart from that, this is a person that is very clever to interact with different kinds of people without hurting other's feeling.

How about that? I still think diplomatic is more suitable. :mrgreen:

Strange indeed.:mrgreen:

According to my language sense, since it' not often used, the usage of 圆融 is limited. It only functions as a predicate or adverbial modifier with a subject that must be someone. And it shouldn't function as a attribute.

这人挺圆融的。

她办事挺圆融。

你需要圆融地处理这些事情。

x/? 你得做一个圆融的人。

x 这件事与这个想法很圆融。

For example if I want to say, 理事圓融 how would you suggest that?

The phenomena matches the principle harmoniously or

The practice coincides with the principle in perfect harmony?

REFERENCE:

理may be translated as noumenon, or theory/principle; while 事may be translated as phenomenon or practice.

:roll: