Chinese-Forums

Where can I find countries and cities in Chinese?

bmw_f1_power

Hello,

I am looking for cities and countries in Chinese. They are not in my dictionary, and I could not find any lists online. The only countries I know so far are 中国 China, 美国 America, 日本 Japan, 法国 France, and 英国 England, and the only cities I have are 上海 Shanghai, 北京 Beijing, 伦敦 London, 东金 Tokyo, and 京都 Kyoto.

If anyone knows more cities and countries in Chinese, could you please post some here? (preferably with characters and pinyin, so I can learn them.) Or, if anyone knows a site that has a list of places, please post a link.

I am especially looking for big cities like Hong Kong, New York, Paris, Berlin, and capitols like Washington, Moscow, etc, and other Asian and European countries, but I would also like to say some countries from all over the world, including the names of the continents.

Whatever you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

I forgot to add, I was also wondering how to find the names of famous people (world leaders, athletes, movie stars, etc.) in Chinese, and also of companies, just so I can write about them sometimes.

Thanks again.

A good Chinese-English (or English-Chinese) dictionary should have a list of country names in the back of it.

You can use Google to find specific names. Just type the name you are looking for in English and a common Chinese character. The results will not always be perfect, but you can usually get an answer that way.

Another good way to learn country and place names is to buy a map or atlas published in Chinese.

try looking up a Chinese map?! or ancient Japanese maps (In ancient Japan, men only read & write in Chinese characters, but speak Japanese, while women read & write in hiragana, but speak Japanese) & Korean maps too (Modern South Korea still uses Chinese characters in printing & publishing along with the native Hangul alphabet.).

Thank you everyone for your replies, they are very helpful. Geek_frappa, that's a great site you've got there, I will definitely bookmark your dictionary. :wink:

By the way, a bit about me, I'm new at this forum and have only been learning Chinese since last Fall. I am a high school student living in the Washington, DC area. I like Chinese and one day I want to go to China.

This looks like a great forum, I will be back to ask you all more questions later.

:wink::wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, Tokyo is 东京, not 东金.

One good way I found to find out the Chinese names of things is to look it up on Wikipedia and then flip to the Chinese version. I managed to find out the Chinese names of all 50 U.S. states by using this method.