Chinese-Forums

北韓 朝鮮 韓國 南朝鮮 ? why so many names 4 corea?

geek_frappa

In this way, the short names for these two nations, 朝鲜 Chao2 Xian3 and 韩国 Han2 Guo2 would be most correct. (In simplified characters and Hanyu Pinyin)

Your statement is technically correct but has greatly inflicted wound on the compassion of the Korean people.

Korea, like China, is a divided nation and not two nations as you said.

If some Koreans, be they from North or South, wrote that China and Taiwan are two nations. What will you think?

Sorry for inflicting wounds. But I did not mean to inflict wounds, I just meant that it was "technically correct", sorry! When they come for the Olympiad, the 31st Universiad was held in Beijing, the signs showed the names I described respectively because they are UN, internationally recognised as two nations. Of course, hopefully one day they will unify, just as I hope that one day Taiwan and the Mainland will unify. Just as a personal opinion, I have nothing against Taiwan being called Republic of China, but I would much prefer Chinese Taipei, as a Mainlander and as a Chinese. But this is deviating from the language topic.

Sorry again!

- Shibo :-?